cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF634cdw New printer Making continuous grinding sound Unprompted

bk4canon
Apprentice

A bran new (1 week old) Canon Color Image Class MF643CDW is scaring every one in the house by kicking off a continuous grinding noise on its own in the middle of the night with absolutely no one touching it nor any pending print job.  This has happend 3 times in the one week since i have this unit plugged in.  

It happened the very first day just hours after setup and succesful 4-5 test pages. suddently it started the grinding noise that sound like it's about to kick of a print job, only that it keeps going and going non-stop. I took as possibly it's part of iniitial self adjustment.

The second time, I got a call from my wife in the middle of the day because she heard some squeaky sound and thought our AC or washer has gone wild, only to discover it's a printer.

Then it happened again a few days later this time in the middle of the night and had everyone startled as we all  run around the house trying to figure out what is making the weird noise, check alarm, check smoke/carbone monocide, before finally coming to the room with this printer blarring.

Each time, i had to power off/on to resolve it. But this is not normal and i cant continue with this. I need a solution to it ASAP.

10 REPLIES 10

stridermc
Apprentice

Turn the printer off, open the front up. Remove each of the toner cartridges, now take a flashlight and shine it in the back, you probably will notice some color has leaked into the rotating gear in the back. Take a q tip and tape it to something long and skinny, dip in some isoprophyl alcohol and clean the color from the gear the best you can. Using the same idea use a dry paper towel to clean everything up. Put the toner back in, and test. The first couple pages may be a little streaky but by the 3rd or 4th it should be normal again and no awful noise when printing. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements