cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon imageCLASS MF455dw - Firmware Communications Error

Tommyt57
Apprentice

Just installed today. No real issues, but when I tried the "Firmware Update" it came back with a communications error. No problems printing and connecting to cloud apps. Restarted a couple of time and tried again. Also, tried to find a screen that listed the firmware version, but could not find it. The UI app, also did not list the firmware version (that I could find.) Could be user error too.

Printer is ethernet connected to my network. Also, rebooted my router just in case it was an issue. No change.

Also, seems that Canon has no email address for support. Long wait on hold or nothing. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tommyt57
Apprentice

Found a fix... Manual firmware update by downloading the update. The instructions to do the update SUX at best. I figured it out and got it updated. Instructions were useless. 

HOW TO... I didn't document the exact steps... so will have to dig for some of the options to select.....

FIRST.. Toss out the instructions that come with the firmware download.

1) Download and expand (zipped) firmware update to another ETHERNET connected computer.
2) From the printer, navigate to the firmware update (management settings)
3) Select "Update from PC"
4) Printer restarts to a command line with the IP address of the printer
5) From your ethernet connected printer (no WiFi,) launch the firmware exe
6) When prompted, enter the printers ipaddress
7) If the computer finds the printer, it will show the model number and install the update
😎 Restart the printer when done
ALL DONE............

Update took about 1 min and a reboot of the printer.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Tommyt57
Apprentice

Found a fix... Manual firmware update by downloading the update. The instructions to do the update SUX at best. I figured it out and got it updated. Instructions were useless. 

HOW TO... I didn't document the exact steps... so will have to dig for some of the options to select.....

FIRST.. Toss out the instructions that come with the firmware download.

1) Download and expand (zipped) firmware update to another ETHERNET connected computer.
2) From the printer, navigate to the firmware update (management settings)
3) Select "Update from PC"
4) Printer restarts to a command line with the IP address of the printer
5) From your ethernet connected printer (no WiFi,) launch the firmware exe
6) When prompted, enter the printers ipaddress
7) If the computer finds the printer, it will show the model number and install the update
😎 Restart the printer when done
ALL DONE............

Update took about 1 min and a reboot of the printer.

Announcements