You can perform an OCR scan using the IJ Scan Utility and have it output to Notepad. To do this, please follow these steps:
1. Open the IJ Scan Utility.
2. Click Settings.... The Settings dialog box appears.
3. Click Document Scan from the side menu.
4. Select Start OCR in the Application Settings section, then select the Add.. option.
5. In the Select Application window that opens, click the Add button, then navigate to the C: drive on your computer, then double-click on the Windows directory, then click on the Notepad program and click the OPEN button at the bottom of the window. You should now see Notepad appear in the Select Application window; please click the OK button.
6. Click OK. The IJ Scan Utility main screen appears.
7. Click Document from the main IJ Scan Utility screen. Scanning starts. When scanning is completed, a Save Settings window will open for you to select the filename and save location. After entering those items, please click the OK button. The scanned text should now appear in Notepad.
Please note: Text in the image of the following types of documents may not be detected correctly:
-- Documents containing text with font size outside the range of 8 points to 40 points (at 300 dpi)
-- Slanted documents
-- Documents placed upside down or documents with text in the wrong orientation (rotated characters)
-- Documents containing special fonts, effects, italics, or hand-written text
-- Documents with narrow line spacing
-- Documents with colors in the background of text
-- Documents containing multiple languages
Hope this helps!
Your directions worked perfectly to get the document scanned and into Notepad,....BUT it was all gobble-d-goop! How do I set it to scan into Word? I don't seem to be able to locat it on my C drive...but I know it's there. When I do a search, all that comes up is the shortcut???????
The printer cannot scan directly into Microsoft Word; if the OCR scan was not legible, we recommend scanning the document in as a PDF file, then copying and pasting the text from the PDF file into a Word document for modification. Please note, any formatting contained in the original document will not be retained when copying and pasting into Microsoft Word.
To scan a document in as a PDF file, please follow these steps:
1. Start the IJ Scan Utility program.
2. In the Canon IJ Scan Utility window that opens, click SETTINGS.... in the bottom right of the window. The Settings dialog box appears.
3. Click the DOCUMENT SCAN option on the left pane of the window, then set the item size, resolution, etc. as required.
4. In the SAVE SETTINGS section of the window, you will select the save format and location of the document you are about to scan.
a.) In the FILE NAME field, specify the name you would like to give the file. By default the filename will begin with IMG; you can remove IMG and change it to whatever you would like to name the file.
b.) In the DATA FORMAT field, use the drop-down arrow to select the desired option. If you are scanning a multipage document, select the PDF (Multiple Pages) option. Note: If you are scanning photos, you will have the option of scanning items as JPEG, TIFF or PNG format.
c.) In the SAVE IN field, please navigate to the area where you would like the file to be saved once it is scanned in. By default, the file will be saved in the MY DOCUMENTS or DOCUMENTS folder.
5. Once all settings have been selected, click the OK button at the bottom of the SETTINGS (DOCUMENT SCAN) window. The IJ Scan Utility main screen appears.
6. Click the DOCUMENT button. Scanning starts. Click the CANCEL button to cancel scanning if needed. Scanned images are saved in the previously selected folder location specified in the SETTINGS... window.
Once the file is scanned in as a PDF, please highlight all of the text in the document, then use the program's copy feature to copy the text, then open a new document in Microsoft Word and paste the text into the document.
Hope this helps!
This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.
09/26/2023: New firmware updates are available.
08/18/2023: Canon EOS R5 C training series is released.
07/31/2023: New firmware updates are available.
05/31/2023: New firmware updates are available.
05/18/2023: New firmware updates are available.
03/30/2023: New firmware updates are available.