cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User manual on pdf versus hard copy

fyigmo63
Enthusiast

Just curious to know other enthusiasts' opinions about Canon not providing a hard copy user manual.  I assume most if not all of the other manufacturers do the same, but one thing is for certain: I hate it!  I don't like having to refer to a pdf file to view the guide, and I don't care to print out a whole bunch of pages on my printer for frequently referenced material.

Is it just me, or are other people bothered by not having a hard copy user manual?

5 REPLIES 5

diverhank
Authority

On which camera that you didn't get a hard copy?  Both my 50D and 5DMk3 come with a paper manual, actually 2, one in English and the other in Spanish.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I bought a SX50 HS last month and there's no paper/hard copy manual included, just the pdf version included on a CD.  Also, my brother-in-law bought an EOS 5D Mark III earlier this year and he did not receive a hard copy user manual either.

Hmm...my 5D Mark iii came with one. It's small like 4x5 and about half an inch thick...your BIL might have missed it and it's still in the box, perhaps.  Anyways, it is a bummer for not having a paper copy...reading it on the monitor isn't the same...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I agree wholeheartedly!  I'll have to select the most salient portions of the manual and print those pages out, and then maybe also draw up a quick reference "cheat sheet" to supplement that as well.  I'd be curious to know if other SX50 owners have a hard copy user guide or did they not get one either.  The way companies nowadays are always trying to cut costs it wouldn't surprise me if this might be the norm for cameras lower end than the 5D, 60D, et al?

Hi, I can understand companies cutting cost on printing hard copies versus a PDF on a CD. When I got my 7D, refurbushed, it did come with a printed manual and I never opened it at all. i purchased a video by Blue Crane and have watch those videos several times and I believe a video is better than trying to read a company manual. After the videos, I then went out and bought David Bisch's manual on the 7D. Better written and have never wanted any infomation that was not in either item.

Mike Goodwin 7D/400D/ Manfrotto 3228W Giotto MH3300/ 400mmL/ 50mm F1.4/28mm F2.8/28x135 & Tamron 18x270
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements