cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of upgrading from the R10

zeucqu2
Apprentice

I’ve been using the R10 for the past 2ish years and feel like treating myself for Christmas. It’s between a used R6 from MPB or a brand new R8. They roughly cost the same of around €1500. I have no interest in video using them purely for photo. I use these purely for a hobby but maybe some day for paid work. Any recommendations?

1 REPLY 1

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome:
Much depends on what and how you photograph.  There are several notable differences between the R6 and R8:

• The R6 is more robustly build with better weather sealing, so better for shooting in the wild
  • It has In-body Image Stabilization, so definitely a bonus if shooting in low light, with long lenses hand-held, especially with lenses that do not have IS built in.
  • The R6 has more customization options than the R8, if that is something you can take advantage of
  • The R6 will take the BG-R10 or BG-R20 battery grip and uses the variants of the large-capacity LP-E6 battery series, whereas the R8 does not have a Canon battery grip and uses the smaller-capacity LP-E17 batteries.  This is useful not only for the extra energy reserve but the battery grips have duplicate controls for shooting in portrait mode, which makes a huge difference when using long focal-length lenses.
  • The R8 has a larger capacity 24MP sensor, whereas the R6 has a 20MP one - so much depends on what you do with the images in terms of cropping and producing very large prints.  For most digital applications either is good.

Without knowing what you shoot, what lenses you will use with it and what you produce, it's hard for us to be more specific.

Note: any RF-S lenses you have for the R10 will not fully use the full-frame sensor of the R6 or R8, reducing the output from from 20MP R6 to about 7.7 and the 24MP sensor on the R8 to about 10MP.  So, you would need to factor in an RF lens as part of your consideration if you want to fully realize the benefits of FF.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements