cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support

amjjoo
Contributor

Hello,

Today I contacted Canon to get help reconnecting my Chromebook to my Canon MG2920 printer wirelessly. I had recently lost connection to this printer.

After an online chat, I was called by a tech who sounded like he was in India. After checking to see that my Windows computer could make the connection [even after I told him I had already confirmed this connection]. After making a successful test print, he implied that the reason I could not print from the Chromebook was that my wireless link was infected and he wanted to sell me security software at roughly $100/yr. During the small talk, he asked me about the Presidential election in the US and who I would support. This is highly inappropriate and somewhat embarrassing. He also asked me my age. I finally disconnected the phone conversation as I was concerned that he not serving my original request. I believe his first name was Victor.

You should know about this as it can surely affect future sales in Canon equipment. I understand that it is important to reduce the cost of tech support, but not at the expense of future sales.

10 REPLIES 10

StevenMOD
Hello, amjjoo!

We're very sorry to hear of your ordeal but glad to hear you ended it before any payments were made. You definitely did the right thing!

Technical support agents would never attempt to sell you software and our technical support team is US-based. It sounds like you most likely came in contact with an online support site that was pretending to be Canon. You'll find helpful resources and technical support options from within your My Canon Account at: http://canon.us/account and reach our printer technical support team Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm ET at: 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) and they'll be glad to help.

amjjoo
Contributor
Hello Steven, you might have noticed that I started at the Canon support online chat. I guess the chat line was unable to help and I was told that I would be called by a tech who would solve the problem. That is when I experienced the problematic call. You are suggesting I try again. I'm worried that whoever I spoke with had remote access to my computer. This may have been a coincidence, but it seems unusual. I still can't print from my Chromebook.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@amjjoo wrote:

Hello,

Today I contacted Canon to get help reconnecting my Chromebook to my Canon MG2920 printer wirelessly. I had recently lost connection to this printer.

After an online chat, I was called by a tech who sounded like he was in India. After checking to see that my Windows computer could make the connection [even after I told him I had already confirmed this connection]. After making a successful test print, he implied that the reason I could not print from the Chromebook was that my wireless link was infected and he wanted to sell me security software at roughly $100/yr. During the small talk, he asked me about the Presidential election in the US and who I would support. This is highly inappropriate and somewhat embarrassing. He also asked me my age. I finally disconnected the phone conversation as I was concerned that he not serving my original request. I believe his first name was Victor.

You should know about this as it can surely affect future sales in Canon equipment. I understand that it is important to reduce the cost of tech support, but not at the expense of future sales.

Sorry to have to have to inform you of this.  You didn't contact Canon...  You didn't speak to a Canon Representative.  

Maybe you think you did, but sorry....  No.  Whomever you spoke with however the call started it wasn't Canon.  

Canon doesn't sell security software.  If you gave this person any personal information or a credit card, consider it compromised.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

amjjoo
Contributor
You are suggesting that the chat on the Canon support site where I started is compromised?

I'm not suggesting anything.

Canon doesn't manufacture or sell security software.

If you spoke to someone who was trying to sell it to you..  it wasn't Canon.  Doesn't matter how it happened.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for your help!

Can you look in your history and share the URL of this support site? I don't think I have ever seen an online chat on a canon site.

I am not positive, but I think it might have been this one.  After describing my problem with my Chromebook I was asked to receive a call from a tech who could help.

Hello amjjoo
This is not an official Canon support site, we do not recommend using this site. For any technical assistance, our site is https://www.usa.canon.com

Announcements