cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should forum prevent replies to very old threads?

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Just wondering if there can be some way for this forum to prevent replies to very old threads.

An "age" could be computed that represents the difference between now and the the date of the most recent reply on a thread.   And if that that age is beyond a certain value (to be determined by Canon forum moderators), an error message is presented (perhaps with hint text to ask the poster to start a new thread).

Thoughts?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Good idea!   Having old threads archived, as it were, as read-only helps folks who search for info without resurrecting old discussions.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

This is a good idea. This also cuts down on confusion between the OP, Forum Members & moderators. The OP may have a similar problem to the new person that chimes in. But the fix may be different due to a setting or a hardware problem. With the camera, lens, speedlite, memory card or any other thing that is attached to their camera.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

ebiggs seems to be the only one that bites. Many boards I am on simply lock a thread a month after the last post.

I have fallen into the trap a couple of times after a new post has appeared on an old thread and the link carried me directly to that post.  My bad, but still I agree with Ricky on this.  As the technology changes with firmware updates and new models, what might have been true once may no longer be the case.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I think the page should say "Forum locked, replies no longer accepted". Other Forums such as dpreview (now closed) and Canon Rumors lock old threads. There just view only now. Or on the page with each section such as lenses. The particular forum should have a lock symbol on it. If the forum is too old to respond to.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements