cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ink bottle disposal? Dismayed I cannot recycle! Refill?

T_H_M
Contributor

I switched from HP to Canon because of the ability to refill tanks rather than buy cartridges. I saw this as a way to reduce my enviormental impact, but it seems I was short-sighted in my evaluation. I suddenly have these sturdy bottles with a scant bit of ink left in them which I must toss in the trash! I wish there were a way to send them back for refilling .... something! If anyone knows of a company which refill or recycles these, I would love to know about it. Thanks.

34 REPLIES 34

yourcableguy
Contributor

In my experience the off brand ink is fine for documents, but for printing pictures they have faded real quick in the past.   However, I haven't printed a picture in about ten years so maybe it has improved since then.

Many years ago, a company I worked for got off-brand black inks for our desktop printers. They worked for our purposes, but the documents stayed wet forever, were gray instead of black, and smelled like fish oil. It was disgusting. I sure hope it's better now! (I've been with Canon for over 15 years)

T_H_M
Contributor

Alas, the sad truth is that even plastics marked as recyclable are simply not. Even the companies able to recycle the few #1 or #2 types, ironically creates a worse problem. The waste water and air emissions from the process has microplastic particles that are an extreme hazard to the environment, albeit invisible to the eye. Our dependence on plastics is a curse.

I totally agree.  That is why I asked about Canon initiating a recycling program wherein the bottles could be reused.  It seems that, given the sturdiness/quality of the plastic used for these bottles, if empties are returned to Canon, they could be cleaned, and filled again.

Our recycling program was mentioned above. It's pretty robust! Head over to https://canon.us/recycling to check it out! 

Three years ago I searched high and low for any mention of a recycling program and couldn't find squat.  The mention above didn't really imply that it was an "official" program.  I believe that posting said something like "let Canon deal with it," implying Canon would be barraged with useless and non-recyclable empty bottles that Canon would have to dispose of.

Regardless, thank you for giving us some useful information.🙂

You're right, it was a little snarky, but it was correct info! 😅

I thought I had searched high and low too but never ran into that site.  That's good to know and I bookmarked that website.

The ink bottles are not in that program. Really, as another poster mentioned above, what would be great is if these very sturdy bottles could be returned and reused by Canon. Please pass that onl.

I'm not sure why you guys aren't seeing this:

Stephen_0-1725816312592.png

I fully understand it says "cartridges," but the bottles can also be sent. 

Announcements