cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you are just starting out in photography, what overwhelms you?

Addisonjones
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 3.34.10 PM.pngWhen I was first starting out in photography I had so many questions. There were so many different numbers and  people didn't explain it in a way that I understood it. After learning the camera, the next step was figuring out how to shoot with people and where to just start.

I have met so many people that love photography, want to start shooting photography and then just don't do it.  I would love to help share how to breakthrough those overwhelming thoughts so you can move forward doing your passion.

I am curious- to the people just picking up the camera. What is the most overwhelming/intimidating part for you?

12 REPLIES 12

I think most of us had a bias towards either the left brain, which is inclined more towards the technical, or the right brain, the more abstract or creative side.  I think there is a strong need in many of us to engage both. I am lucky in that both by nature and nurture I have used both, pretty much in balance.  It doesn't mean I have mastered either - far from it, and as I get older I struggle with some of the former, but it helps to keep my mind active.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

As I mentioned, I pair the camera with the manual. Read, try, experiment. I also like to take photos and compare, checking the different settings for the best photo before any editing.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

There is one area that I find challenging, and that is the digital darkroom.  When I started it was transparencies, so one was judged on what came out of the camera as a slide, rather than with a layer of manipulation in the darkroom.  I shot that way until I went digital, and have not become sophisticated in using PS or LR.  I can make corrections, change the basics, but I don't manipulate layers, or add or remove things.
Don't get me wrong, from the beginning I have seen post processing as a very valid stage in the creative process.  Ansel Adams likened the negative to a musical score and the PP as the interpretation of it by the conductor, and I think that is an elegant analogy.
Still, I am OK with that level and am concentrating my studies on the art side, both for photography and across the disciplines of painting as well.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements