cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am in Southern California. Where can I get a plug in for my ELPH 530HS to charge in Australia?

killer66
Apprentice

I am in Southern California.  Where can I get a plug in for my ELPH 530HS to charge in Australia?

6 REPLIES 6

Skirball
Authority

You don't need a new charger, you need an adapter so that the plug fits into the socket in Australia. Here's three for $7 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-Grounded-Universal-Adapter-Australia/dp/B007YLG14C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

If you don't need a ground you can get smaller ones.  Also, outdoor stores like REI have them in stock if you need it ASAP.

Thanks, for the answer, Skirball.  I knew what I needed - I just said it wrong (duh).  I don't have time to order one through Amazon, so we went to our local  Best Buy.  They  had one - a bit more expensive, but we least we got it.  Thanks very much for your quick response.

No worries, glad you got your adapter.

Have fun in Australia, awesome place and fantastic photography opportunity.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If you should find yourself in this jam again... read your power adapter.  MOST modern power adapters are universal.

If the adapter says "Input:  100-240V 60/60Hz" then you've got a universal power adapter.

Most contries are either 110v or 220v.  But 110v can vary by as little as 100v or as high as 120v.  Similarly, 220v can vary from 200-240v.  Also, the AC current cycles (alternates) either 50 times per second or 60 times per second. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

The adapter allows the plug on the charger, which is universal, to fit into an Australian socket.  The plug isn't universal - although for Australia if you don't have a ground you can physically twist the prongs to fit, but I don't recommend it.

If you're staying in hotels I know in Europe (maybe elsewhere too) there are sometimes shaver sockets in bathrooms which will accept American plugs.  Of course you're better off finding an adaptor which will guarantee you can use any socket.

Powershots: A80, SD1300is, SX280 (returned)
Announcements