cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help photographing animals in zoo's

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Hello guys and girls

I recently went to chester zoo in the uk to obtain some pictures not the best time out for me as most enclosures where empty my question is on photography policy it seems they will not allow you to take pictures for professional use. Are zoos off limits for making any money? Please let me know your thoughts I did not know this was an issue.

Regards Paul.

PHOTOGRAPHY

11.1          From time to time we and third parties to whom we have provided authority may take photographs and/or video recordings of the Zoo premises, including the car parks and surrounding areas which may feature visitors. By accepting these Terms, you agree that the Zoo or any authorised third party may use such images in perpetuity in any promotional or publicity material in any format whatsoever. You further agree that all copyright and any other intellectual property rights that subsist in or arise out of these materials shall be absolutely owned by us or such authorised third party (subject to our agreement) as the case may be.

11.2          Any photographs and/or video or other image recordings which you take whilst on the Zoo premises (Images) are deemed to be for personal domestic use only. Filming and/or photography for Public Broadcast, commercial purposes, training or student projects are strictly prohibited without the express prior written agreement of the Zoo. For the purposes of this clause 11.2, Public Broadcastmeans transmitting Images to a group of more than 10 people at one time, including by radio or television. Please contact us on 01244 380280 for further information in this regard.

11.3          For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this clause 11 prevents you from uploading personal Images to social media websites to share for domestic purposes only.       

10 REPLIES 10

Paul,

Look's like you are screwed! Smiley Indifferent

I should have mentioned one more thing about privacy in the US.  If something is private you can not photograph it.  But, we also have a normal 'persumption ' privacy, too.  Example, a public restroom is, well, public but you can not photograph a person while in there.  Because they has a perceived assumption of privacy.

Another might be an ATM while someone was conducting a transaction. However, it is legal to take photos of children at a public swimming pool. It would not be the best idea, IMHO.  If they are in a public place like that, they do not have any perceived assumption of privacy.  Even though they might be minors. These kinds of areas and subjects should be avoided in simple respect and morality.  Again, IMHO.

It is a huge stretch, in my mind, that a zoo would limit or discourage schools and students from projects.  How narrow short minded can they be.  Yet the zoo took government money!   Ridiculous.

Disclaimer, I am not an attorney and really have no foundation to speak about anything. Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements