cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D wireless connections

sludgin
Apprentice

I have a 6D and would like to connect it to my iPhone 5s and an iPad Air 2.  Phone is more important but would prefer both.  WIreless is enabled on my camera but 'Camera Connect' on my those devices doesn't recognize a camera connection available.  It says 'Camera not connected' on my iPad and on my iPhone is says 'Connect the camera'  It says 'wifi off' on the display on the top of my camera even though it says enabled on the menu screen. The connection method I use is 'Camera access point mode'  Then I select 'easy connection' Then it shows the encryption key.  I enter that in my phone and it shows a connection with a check mark next to the camera name and the signal and lock icons to the right.  Oh...Bluetooth is turned off if that matters as well as 'personal hotspot'  Then after all this it shows a flashing signal icon as well as Wi-Fi ON on my camera display on the top.  BUT..as soon as I hit the shutter button to go back to taking pictures and using the camera and exiting the menu screen the 'ON' text disappears and it goes back to 'off'  Another weird thing is that when I am on the menu setting screen for the wireless connections I can not get off the screens.  I hit menu botton and nothing happens.  No other buttons work so I have to hit the shutter button to get off the screen.

The main reason I want to connect to my iPad is to transfer pics for viewing and then sending via email or other means.  On my iPhone I want to connect for the remote shooting abilities as well as transfer too.

2 REPLIES 2

sludgin
Apprentice

Oh I forgot.  several months ago I had the remote shooting ability working on my iPhone and my 6D.  Not sure what I changed on my camera/phone to make it not work.  Oh..maybe I tried to get my iPad to connect also and it changed settings thus eliminating that connection.

Tim
Authority

Hello sludgin, 

Step 1: Connect the smartphone to the wireless LAN

REFERENCE
Please refer to the table below for more information on supported OS versions. (as of March 2016)
  • iOS (iPhone / iPad) : 7.0-7.1 / 8.0-8.4 / 9.0-9.2
  • Android (Smartphone / Tablet) : 4.0-4.4 / 5.0-5.1 / 6.0
IMPORTANT
To communicate with a smartphone, the camera needs to be connected to the smartphone using the dedicated application Camera Connect.
Camera Connect can be downloaded from the App Store or Google Play. Install Camera Connect on the smartphone and then perform the procedures to establish the connection.

If a Wi-Fi connection to the camera cannot be made using Camera Connect, please refer to The camera cannot be connected via Wi-Fi using Camera Connect.

1. Set the power switch to <ON>.

2. Press the <MENU> button to display the menu screen.

3. Under the [ ] tab, select [Wi-Fi], then press <SET>.

4. Press the <Multi-controller> to select [Enable], then press <SET>.

[Wi-Fi function] is now selectable.

5. Under the [ ] tab, select [Wi-Fi function], then press <SET>.

REFERENCE
When you first use this setting, a screen appears prompting you to register a nickname for your camera.
When the camera is connected to another device via a wireless LAN, the nickname will be displayed on the device. Be sure to set a nickname for your camera.
Select [OK], then enter a nickname. (Up to 16 characters can be entered.)
When you are finished, press the <MENU> button.

Select [OK] on the confirmation screen, then press <SET>.

The nickname is registered, and [Wi-Fi function] screen will appear.
NOTE
Virtual Keyboard Operation
  • Switching to other input areas
To switch between top and bottom input areas, press the <Q> button.
  • Moving the cursor
To move the cursor, press the <Multi-controller> in the top area.

• Entering text
In the bottom input area, press the <Multi-controller> to select characters and press <SET> to enter them.
You can check how many characters you have entered, and how many more can be entered, by referring to [*/*] on the upper right of the screen.
  • Deleting text
If you make a mistake, press the <> button to erase it.
  • Finishing text entry
Press the <MENU> button to confirm what you have entered and exit. If a confirmation screen is displayed, select [OK] to exit.
  • Canceling text entry
Press the <INFO.> button to cancel text entry and exit. If a confirmation screen is displayed, select [OK] to exit.

6. Select [ ] (Connect to smartphone) and press <SET>.

7. Press the <Multi-controller> to select [Camera access point mode], then press <SET>.
Select [OK] and press <SET> to go to the next screen.

8. Press the <Multi-controller> to select [Easy connection], then press <SET>.
Select [OK] and press <SET> to go to the screen in step 9.

REFERENCE
When [Manual connection] Is Selected
Set [SSID], [Channel setting], and [Encryption settings] on each screen displayed.
  • Enter an SSID.
Enter any character using the virtual keyboard.
When you are finished, press the <MENU> button.

• Select [Auto setting] and press <SET>.
Select [OK] and press <SET> to go to the next screen.
To select manually, select [Manual setting] and turn the <Main Dial>.
  • Select [None] and press <SET>.
Select [OK] and press <SET> to go to the screen in step 9.
For encryption, select [AES], then enter any encryption key using the virtual keyboard.

9. Connect the smartphone to the camera.
  • On the Wi-Fi settings menu of the smartphone, select the SSID (network name) displayed on the camera’s LCD monitor.
  • For the password, enter the encryption key displayed on the camera’s LCD monitor.
-> The next screen may be automatically displayed even when the operation on the smartphone is not completed.

Do not press [Cancel] until you have completed the setting.

10. Start Camera Connect on the smartphone. Do not press [Cancel] until you have completed the setting.

11. Select and touch the camera to connect to from [Cameras] on Camera Connect to establish a connection.

12. Connect to the camera.
Press the <Multi-controller> to select [OK], then press <SET>.

13. Perform further settings.
To finish settings in this stage, press the <Multi-controller> to select [OK], then press <SET>.

14. Select [OK] and press <SET> to save the settings.

15. The [ Connection] screen will be displayed.

The settings for communicating with a smartphone are now complete.

Step 2: Viewing and Saving Images with the Smartphone

1. Select [Images on camera] from the Camera Connect main window on the smartphone.

2. Save images from the camera to the smartphone.
When the connection has been established, the images stored in the camera will be displayed in [Camera Connect] as shown in the example image below.
Tap the [ ] button appearing at the bottom of the screen.

3. When the selection screen is displayed, choose the desired images (), and then tap [Save] ().
The selected images will be saved to the smartphone.

4. After the images have been saved, tap the home button in the top left of the screen to return to the menu.

5. To end the connection, tap the [ ] icon in the upper right of the screen, then tap [Yes] when the confirmation screen appears.

This concludes the procedure for sending images to a smartphone via a wireless LAN.

IMPORTANT
  • When viewable images are specified, functions of Camera Connect will be limited.
  • While connected, a picture cannot be taken even if the camera’s shutter button is pressed.
  • Depending on the connection status, image display or shutter release may become slower than usual.
NOTE
  • The connection will also be terminated if you set the power switch to [ ], turn the Mode Dial, or open the card slot/battery compartment cover.
  • When saving RAW images to a smartphone, they are saved as JPEG images.
  • While connected, disabling the smartphone’s power saving function is recommended.

The camera cannot be connected via Wi-Fi using Camera Connect

The information registered to the smartphone for EOS Remote cannot be used for Camera Connect. Therefore, it will be necessary to re-register connection information for Camera Connect.
The procedures for making connections with Camera Connect are explained below.

1. Press the <MENU> button to display the menu screen.

2. Under the [ ] tab, select [Wi-Fi function], then press <SET>.

3. Select [ ] (Connect to smartphone) and press <SET>.

4. In [Choose set.] on the [Connect to smartphone] screen, select the settings to be used when connecting with EOS Remote.

5. Select [Review/change settings] and press <SET>.

6. On the [Review/change settings] screen, select [Change set.] and press <SET>.

7. When the [Connect'n method] screen is displayed, perform the procedures explained from 7 in Step 1: Connect the smartphone to the wireless LAN to complete the settings.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements