cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II camera won't turn on!

MEGSG92
Apprentice

Hello, I just bought a Canon 7D Mark II been using it for about a month. Yesterday I was filming and taking pictures and I had put the camera down for a second and as I looked down at it I noticed an error message with the yellow Caution sign "!". As I brought it up to read it it disappeared and my camera turned off. I tried to turn it on and i seen real quick at the top screen it said err, assuming that meant error. turned it off and on again and nothing. unresponsive! I changed the batteries, changed the SD cards, changed lenses. tried plugging it into my computer... nothing. If someone could please help I would appreciate it! I have lots of work Monday!! Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

amfoto1
Authority

Oh boy.... Not sure if I can help and only just saw your post.

I don't have a 7DII (yet),  so can only suggest things that have cleared up similar problems with other models.

The most obvious thing you have probably already tried... Are you certain the batteries are adwquately and properly charged? During first few uses, batteries may not take a full charge and give expected number of shots. I've also seen chargers not work properly, though that's pretty rare.

Do you have a battery grip on the camera? If so, try removing and reinstalling it. Sometimes I've had a grip get slighly loose and the camera shut down suddenly from lack of any power.

Not sure if the 7DII's grip has an off/on switch, but some of the other battery grips I've used have had one that was easily bumped to the off position, or even in-between the off and on positions, turing the camera off. That's something else to check, if using a grip and it has a power switch.

Have you tried a "reboot"? This involves removing all the batteries, turning the camera on and pressing the shutter release button once (won't power up or fire the shutter, this is just to drain all remaining power in the camera). Then turn it off, put batteries back in and turn back on. If it rebooted properly, you should need to reset the date/time. If not, you may need to leave the batteries out for a longer time. This can clear unknown problems, much as rebooting a computer will do. It likely will mean most or all settings are returned to their defaults, though... so be sure to check anything you had set.

I just looked to see if the 7DII has a user removeable date/time battery and it doesn't appear to. If that's the case, you may not be able to do the "reboot" (aka "hard reset") I described. This is because the cameras without user-removeable button batteries have a semi-permanent battery serving the same purpose, internal and on one of the circuits. These are recharged by the main/rechargeable LP-E6 battery(ies) and provide backup to retain settings, date/time for about 3 months.

Finally check that the electronic contacts lens to camera and the power contacts for batteries are all clean and unobstructed.

Hope this helps! Keep us posted.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Hey Alan!

Thanks for the help but none of it has worked. I'm going to take it to Canon service center tomorrow and see how that goes. If anything I just bought it so I still have warranty on it. i just hope they can fix it. Work is starting to pile up. If you have any other possible solutions please let me know!

I noticed you said you tried plugging it into the computer... just to be clear (because we've actually had someone make this mistake in the past), the computer cable is only used for image transfer -- it can't charge via that cable.  The only way to charge the batteries is to use the seperate battery charger.

There's a small tab on the battery door which engages a sensor (micro-switch) in the door-frame.  There's another on the memory card door.  If those doors are not completely closed then the camera will not turn on.  Make sure the doors have a good fit and are undamaged. 

Also... are you using a battery grip?  We've had a few posts where people have used 3rd party grips and had issues.  I would disconnect any non-Canon components if there are any -- just in case.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

GigglesnRattles
Apprentice

I have a similiar situation. I didnt see any error message though. I just realized ithad gone off in the middle of a wedding dress up. After 36 hours, it came on with a caution that "the battery power left is too low to communicate". After charging the two batteries in my grip fully, the device turned on but repeated the problem a few days later. I noticed that, the batteries drain completely when this happens.

Announcements