cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon t3 not focusing

hannahcbettis
Apprentice

Hi everyone, 

My mom's Canon T3 has had problems with focusing recently. However, this is just on any of the auto modes (P, sport, macro, etc) and it will accurately focus on M, Tv or Av. This is not an issue with the 9 focus points, and while I know that it would make more sense for her to learn how to use any of the manual modes, I've already tried that so please don't suggest it. It should be focusing accurately even on auto though. If anyone could help that'd be great. 

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What makes you so sure that it is not an issue with the focus points?  The focus points are the primary focusing difference between creative modes and the programmed modes. 

How many focusing points are you using when it works?  Have you tried all of the focus point modes in the creative modes, especailly the automatic mode that the program modes use?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

hannah,

First there is slight difference in the modes, P and Auto (green square), Tv and Sports or Av and Landscape, etc.

The difference is the camera gives priority to one over the other.  And in Tv or Av you firmly set one or the other. Make sense.

So if it is working as it should in the semi-manual modes, it should work in the auto modes.  This is leading me to suspect technique is the problem.  There are conditions where you get outside the limits of the camera.  This can occur more in auto modes than the others.  This is where I think you should look for the issue.  Try the camera in good stable proper light conditions and see if it works.  Also, try a different lens under the same conditions.  Make sure the battery and charger are working properly.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements