cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 won't let Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT import photos

ijustneedhelp
Apprentice

Windows 8.1 can scan my Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT for pictures and video, but once it's scanned them all, and I click 'import' it says the camera "can't be found." Is the camera too old? Or am I just going about this the wrong way? How do I fix this?

2 REPLIES 2

ScottyP
Authority
I keep it super super simple. I don't let Windows automatically handle the transfer because I like to drag and drop the files where I want them. I don't even plug the camera into the computer actually. I take the SD card out and stick it in a card reader so there is no possible complication.

When you put the sd card in the slot, Windows sees the card reader as a drive in My Computer. You then create a file folder tith the date and subject as its title (2015-08-19; beach and picnic) and have the sd card window and the new file window open next to each other. Highlight all the files on the card then drag and drop them into the file you made.

No worries about the camera battery. No software comparability questions between camera and Windows 8. Total control of where stuff goes, no wondering what the automatic transfer is really doing. Utter simplicity.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is the camera too old?"

In a word, yes.  I believe the XT has a menu setting called PTP whcih should allow you to use it.   But no matter as Scott says all you need do is pull your CF card, not SD card, and put it in a card reader. Your computer may or may not have one built in.  CF cards are becomming less common as SD cards get bigger and faster.

With the CF card in a reader, it will look like another drive or flash stick, etc.  You can use My Computer to navigate to it and do whatever you want.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements