cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7 Off Camera Flash Trigger

GregD
Apprentice

Is there a wireless flash trigger that works with the T7, which doesn't have the center contact on the hot shoe. Any trigger I can find that specifies what cameras it works with note that it doesn't work with the T7 or SL3 cameras. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Would it not be simpler over the long run to upgrade the T7 to a camera that is compatible with a wider range of gear?  

You will be fighting this same fight over and over again with the T7.  It is a safe bet that well over 90% of T7 users never buy an external flash.  I would not be surprised to learn if that figure was over 99%, which could begin to explain why Canon removed the circuitry from their most basic, entry level cameras.

If you wish to get the most performance from flash gear, I suggest that you upgrade the T7, and the leave Rebels behind.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Two reasons. First it isn't compatible with my older speedlite flash "not compatible with earlier Speedlite models such as 580EX II".

Second, if it was compatible it seem a bit much to pay $376 when there products out there that do the same thing, or at least the function I need, for less than $50. 

Would it not be simpler over the long run to upgrade the T7 to a camera that is compatible with a wider range of gear?  

You will be fighting this same fight over and over again with the T7.  It is a safe bet that well over 90% of T7 users never buy an external flash.  I would not be surprised to learn if that figure was over 99%, which could begin to explain why Canon removed the circuitry from their most basic, entry level cameras.

If you wish to get the most performance from flash gear, I suggest that you upgrade the T7, and the leave Rebels behind.

Yes. Absolutely I'd look to get a different camera before I spend $500 plus to get a flash and a trigger that work. I've already been pricing Nikons as I've yet to find evidene they are trying to force any of their camera owners to buy their accessories like this and I'm not yet terribley invested in Canon lenses. I think more T7 owners would use a flash than you think as I can't imagine anyone investing in a DSLR and lens and not wanting to use bounce flash indoors. But, anyway my question has been answered. Thanks!

@GregD wrote:

Yes. Absolutely I'd look to get a different camera before I spend $500 plus to get a flash and a trigger that work. I've already been pricing Nikons as I've yet to find evidene they are trying to force any of their camera owners to buy their accessories like this and I'm not yet terribley invested in Canon lenses. I think more T7 owners would use a flash than you think as I can't imagine anyone investing in a DSLR and lens and not wanting to use bounce flash indoors. But, anyway my question has been answered. Thanks!

Most people threaten to go buy a Sony.  Nikon is looking like they're about to fold, or be sold.  When you jump ship, just make sure to look before you leap.  Research the gear before you buy it.  You bought the $200 bottom of the line camera, and are expecting $2000 camera performance out of it.

BTW, more than half of the bottom of the line cameras wind up in a box in a closet somewhere, and go unused for years.  Despite your assertions to the contrary, not many people are buying speedlites to use with these cameras.  They bought the camera because it has a built=in flash in the first place.

Take my advice.  If you want to do serious flash photography, then upgrade from the most basic of the entry-level Canon Rebels.  There is more to it than available pins on the hot shoe.  I suggest that you do some more research.  Good Luck!

For example, the next level up gets you *built-in* external optical flash control.

No, I didn't buy an entry level camera while expecting top end performance. I bought a entry level camera and expected it to work with 3rd party flashes like any other similar camera. That is a reasonable expectation. 

Just because you have advanced past entry level camera's doesn't me everyone else has. For where I am at, towards the upper end of beginner, it is a perfectly fine camera with the exception that I can't put a 3rd party flash trigger on it and had to buy a used Speedlight because Canon made it impossible to use my existing 3rd Party Flash on it (which they also did with the SL3 and what I'm reading now seems like a trend that will continue.) If Canon as a company is going to try to stick it to beginners who need entry level equipment while they develop their skills by forcing them to buy over priced propiretary accessories then it doesn't say much about them as a company.  

I will live with not being able to move the flash off camera (since that isn't something I did very often anyway) but as I develop my skills and save for when my equipment is holding me back and I need to upgrade to full frame I will be doing plenty of research and pricing on other brands. 

You bought a $220 camera, and are expecting $2000 camera performance.  

As far as compatibility with 3rd party gear goes, Canon does not care if a third party cannot figure out how to make their work with Canon gear.  Take it up with the third party.  

Canon removes features from their LOWEST TIER products to reduce the costs.  Adding highly advanced features to an entry level camera rapidly inflates the cost to the end user.

Again, I suggest that you upgrade your camera, and leave the Rebel line behind.

Announcements