cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling off-camera external flash power on the flash itself

daviddoria
Contributor

I am using a T3i with a Yongnuo YN500EX flash. I find it very very tedius to change the flash power by going to Menu > Flash Control > External flash func. setting > then scrolling wayy down to find the flash power slider. Sometimes when the flash is near me, it seems like it would be much easier to just use the up/down buttons on the back of the flash, but when I do that and then press the shutter, the camera seems to tell the flash to go back to the power that is set in the camera. Is this "override flash power" setting something that can be changed in the camera? Or is it a setting of the flash (and can it typically be turned on/off?) Does it have a name so I can look for it in either manual?

Thanks!

David

2 REPLIES 2

Skirball
Authority

I'm not aware of a custom function that would do that, but I suppose it's possible.

First off, what are you using to fire the flash off-camera, cord or wireless unit?  Are you shooting in TTL or manual?

I'm not familiar with the YN500EX, but I have several other Yongnuo flashes, and both the RF-602 and RF-622.  Adjusting power directly on the flash always over-rides internal settings, when applicable.  That said, I really don't use the in-camera function that often.  Like you, I just find it easier to walk over to the flash and use the buttons.

Sorry, I should have mentioned I am using the Yongnuo YN622 wireless flash trigger to fire the flash. I have the camera flash setting set to Manual.

Yea, I would have thought that the flash buttons would override everything else, but I can change the power on the back of the flash and then press the shutter half way and watch the flash power (on the flash LCD) change back to what it is set on in the camera.

Announcements