cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weird pulsing focus during video interviews with r6ii

sylentbob3
Contributor

I recently puchased the r6ii, and am having focus problems when shooting interviews.

The focus is "pulsing" every minute or so, like its hunting focus.

Im using human detection, with eye focus turned on.

Anyone can guide me to what Im doing wrong? As the footage isnt so useable as is

Ive included samples below

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/secqnts8yt6cn3amm3s5z/focus-problems.mp4?rlkey=whax1ruj21j78olmyy7p52...

11 REPLIES 11

sylentbob3
Contributor

For anyone reading this thread in the future also looking for a solution, it seems that setting subject detect to "off" seems to have solved this problem for now.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks for providing the update.  I was going to post a few questions for you myself, as I was quite sure your R62 was capable of tracking a subject during an interview and remaining sharp.  I don't use manual focus exclusively when shooting video and set correctly, the camera tracks subjects moving back and forth and in or out of the frame completely without hunting.  If the wrong settings are used, the camera will hunt until it finds another subject which may or may not be yours. 

I still own my EF 85 f1.8 and also had the EF 50 f1.8.  I never used them for video however, only still photography.  I've watched many videos from others who have had issues with the RF 50 and 85 "L's"  on mirrorless bodys when shooting video.  Realize this doesn't apply here.    

EF wise, The 85 is much older, and although its USM, might not be up to the task, especially on the R62 which has one of Canons most advanced AF algorithms available.  For portraiture, at its low price, its bokeh is nearly unbeatable, razor sharp focus with beautiful soft balls that melt away in the background.  Consider looking at the RF 35mm too.  Its another lower priced lens that delivers in video.  Glad you found a solution that works.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements