Apprentice

taking pictures of the super moon what settings do I use. I'm abeginner

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"taking pictures of the super moon what settings do I use. I'm abeginner"

mommy,

Any astro shot requires several things to be successful.  One is set the SL1 to full manual mode.  Set you lens to MF not AF.

Use the Looney Rule as a starting point.  It suggests f11, 1/100 SS and ISO of 100.  I mentioned starting point because you want to bracket several shots by 1 stop.  Do this in both directions I.E. a stop faster and a stop slower.  Go several stops each way.

The Moon can really be shot anywhere but still a dark sky away from lights is best.  Something in the 400mm focal length is a good starting point, too.  You can use shorter lenses but you will have to crop the image severly and this will lose detail.

The lens will determine the tripod you need.  The SL1 is not a heavy camera.  It is possible to hand hold a Moon shot but it takes practice. Remember if you use the suggested 400mm lens it has a 8x tele effect. However, all the vibration or shake is also 8 times.

We were all beginners at oen time.  Get out there a shoot the Moon.  Next chance is 18 years down the road!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

mommy316
Apprentice
Thanks for the advice!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_11_rule

And a long lens, otherwise it will be quite tiny.

@kvbarkley wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_11_rule

And a long lens, otherwise it will be quite tiny.

The Moon will appear roughly 30% brighter, so increase your shutter speed by one stop.

The Looney 11 rule the kvbarkley posted is a good starting point.  The settings are not law.  Experiment with different shutter speeds.  I like to keep my ISO at 100 to get the lowest noise, but I've been known to experiment with ISO a little bit, too.

Use a STURDY tripod, a long lens, and a delayed shutter for best results.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"taking pictures of the super moon what settings do I use. I'm abeginner"

mommy,

Any astro shot requires several things to be successful.  One is set the SL1 to full manual mode.  Set you lens to MF not AF.

Use the Looney Rule as a starting point.  It suggests f11, 1/100 SS and ISO of 100.  I mentioned starting point because you want to bracket several shots by 1 stop.  Do this in both directions I.E. a stop faster and a stop slower.  Go several stops each way.

The Moon can really be shot anywhere but still a dark sky away from lights is best.  Something in the 400mm focal length is a good starting point, too.  You can use shorter lenses but you will have to crop the image severly and this will lose detail.

The lens will determine the tripod you need.  The SL1 is not a heavy camera.  It is possible to hand hold a Moon shot but it takes practice. Remember if you use the suggested 400mm lens it has a 8x tele effect. However, all the vibration or shake is also 8 times.

We were all beginners at oen time.  Get out there a shoot the Moon.  Next chance is 18 years down the road!

EB

mommy316
Apprentice
Thanks for the advice!

Any time, my pleasure!

EB
Announcements