cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple exposure settings on 6D

moneyflylane
Contributor

I like to use multiple shot drive settings when using the 6D's  multiple expiosure picture style. eg: shots of a horse juimping a gate. But it seems only single shot drive works, is this correct?

13 REPLIES 13

Skirball
Authority

Are you talking about bracketing (taking multiple shots at different exposures), or just shooting a bunch of shots consecutively?

Bracketing is done through the menu.  It's been combined into the exposure meter menu, so you can select the number of bracketed shots, offset, and spacing.  Continuous mode is just selected from the drive button on the top.

No not Bracjeting or HDR.

In "P" mode etc on the 6D, in the Menu  (#4 Camera),  where you can select "Multiple Exposures" ie: multiple shots to the same frame(photo), you set how may shots you will take on the same frame/photo.   But each shot seems to require you to squeeze the shutter button each time.... I'd like to use continous drive mode so I can get a shot of motion, all on just one frame.  

You used the example of the horse jumping -- somewhat suggesting that you're just trying to get rapid shooting of action photography.

"Multiple Exposures" is intended for special effects...   in film photography we could take "double exposures" (or more than double)... by taking a photo and then cocking the shutter to shoot again WITHOUT advancing the film.  

The "multiple exposure" mode is a digital version of this in tha the camera will actually merge the images into a single image.  You would have to press the shutter button each time because typically you want to shoot different things.   E.g. you could shoot a wine glass, then shoot a person and the combined images might look like the person is a reflection on the glass -- and you can imagine that you would not shoot these in rapid succession because you'd want to change the shot for image part of the image.

If you're trying to photograph action shots with rapid shooting... that's completely different.  If that's what you want, it's "continuous" shooting mode.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ScottyP
Authority
Hi, Moneyflylane.

You are looking for CONTINUOUS SHOOTING. You can set the camera dial to SCN mode and then choose Sports Mode, which is the little guy running, in the SCN mode, and Continuous Shooting is the default. Or you can shoot in TV and press "Q" for the QUICK MENU, and toggle down to the shooting modes and there select continuous shooting. Either way, continuous shooting is the little symbol of a stack of photos, as opposed to single shot mode which is the symbol of just one photo.

Does that get you there?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the time, but that is not it.   Even with continous shotting mode set and showing in the LCD, when "Multiple Exposures" is enabled on the 6D, using a setting of 4 shots (exposures) as an example you do not get continous shooting for those 4 exposures, you must still hit the shutter release 4 times.

This may be a function canon has not programed in.

You don't have to hit the shutter for each exposure but when you hold down the shutter release, the camera says it's busy and there is about a one second delay while the processor overlays one exposure over the other.

Skirball
Authority

By the looks of this:

http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&secu...

It says that "During continuous shooting, the continuous shooting speed will decrease greatly."   I would interpret that as it is able to shoot in continuous mode.

I've seen a little jump in speed when using live view shooting and manual focusing..

you are correct, just keeping the button down for at least a second does work afterall as you mentioned, it's just so slow....I expected it to be faster cycling, With such a delay it will not likely be very useful for capturing much motion on one photo.

Thnaks for all the help!

Announcements