cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth buying a used 5d Mark iii?

vincent721
Apprentice

I used to own a 5d classic which I am giving away. I may eventually but a mirrorless but I know for the next three or four years, I will not be shooting much. So my idea was to get a 5d Mark iii till I buy the mirrorless instead of spending more on a mark 4. How do these two compare? Is there a night and day difference?

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I had the 5DIII and IV and rather regret having sold both of them, just because they are classics, especially the MkIII.  The MkIV does have quite a few more features, and you can easily compare the specs for yourself, but really, much depends on what you are going to photograph and produce, but they are both great cameras.   One thing I appreciated was the improvement in improved dynamic range in sensor performance, and metering with the later unit, but I was very happy with the images either produced.
Canon EOS 5DIII, EF 24-105L@ 60mm, f/4, 1/2sec, ISO-200Canon EOS 5DIII, EF 24-105L@ 60mm, f/4, 1/2sec, ISO-200
The important thing is that they are in good condition.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Men,

Vincent,

My question to you is "do you own any Canon lenses now"?  If you are considering a mirrorless body 3-4 years out, it doesn't sound like you are looking to make a serious commitment to photography today. While any camera is better than no camera, I wouldn't buy a 5D3.  Its a great (but too old) now camera.  If you must have a pro DSLR and are not looking for a 1 series, then the 5D4 is as good as it gets.  

However if this means you need to go out a buy glass to outfit it, I would not invest there.  Or, I would be extremely conservative.  It sounds like some used gear might be a better option for you.  Until you are ready for MILC.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

That's a good question Rick - I had rather assumed that Vincent intends to keep the glass ( I read it that the 5D has not yet been disposed of).

If one takes your point to its logical conclusion, one could suggest keeping the 5D and any lenses for the few times it will be used, and getting a new R-series MILC in 5 years' time.  The question that poses is if Vincent has a particular reason for staying with a DSLR body and hence wants to get one now in anticipation that in the future the options for good ones may become more limited.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Trevor,

Yes.  All of those things.  If you are going to get a 5 Series, get the 5D4.

Otherwise an R8 with EF to R adapter.  When BlackFriday comes in Nov. it will likely go back on sale like it was last week.  A good used 5D4 is $1200+ anyway.  

Canon R8 vs Canon 5D MIV Detailed Comparison (cameradecision.com)

I'm not turning my back on DSLR's, but as more time passes, the ROI becomes less and less attractive, especially if you are not already invested in the platform.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I agree Rick.  The technology has changed so much from the DSLR platform, and if one is looking five years ahead, heaven knows what a MILC will be capable of by then.  I think that if Vincent is not intending to do a lot of photography, then it is arguably more economical to keep the 5D and save those funds for a great MILC body when he is really to seriously engage.  

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements