cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I get lots of noise in my photos on the D30 at long exposure times with 100 ISO speed? Help!

Monzer
Apprentice

So I'm using a Canon D30 (3.1 megapixel). My ISO speed is set to 100, but when take phots at very slow shutter speeds I get a lot of noise. And I mean a lot. Can anybody help?

2 REPLIES 2

ScottyP
Authority

Long exposure time is the 2nd main way to get noise in an image.  Not a lot you can do other than post processing.  How long an exposure?  Perhaps a compromise like ISO 200 and a shutter that is half as long (twice as fast) would be slightly better if you played around with it.  Or perhaps that would be even worse.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
There is a relationship between sensor temperature and noise. Long exposures heat up the sensor and generate more noise.

When I do imaging (lots of long exposures) the sensor will get quite warm because it doesn't get a chance to cool off much between images.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements