cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What speed memory card is recommended for the 7D Mark II ?

BillSz
Apprentice

5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If using CF card, then you want a UDMA 7 card.

If using SD card, then you want a UHS-1 card.

See "Maximum Burst" table in the specs (it's under the "Drive System" section roughly half-way down the page):  http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d_mark_ii#Specifications

ALSO... we do tend to get a lot of people who are frustrated with problems which were ultimately the result of poor performing memory cards.  This is an area where I do NOT recommend you skimp.  

I find that the SanDisk and Lexar brand cards tend to be very reliable.  I avoid obscure brands.  The trouble just isn't worth the couple of dollars you'll save for buying cards of questionable quality.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks, Tim -

I shoot exclusively RAW and  have been using a Transcend 16GB SDHC card (Rated "6") that worked just fine for years with my 60D. I'd find with the 7D2 that things would lock up, the busy light would stay on, and occasionally I'd get an Error Code 80 message. With larger files coming fast and furious,  the card write speed seemed to be the logical culprit.. I just ordered a 32 GB Lexar Professional 1066X UDMA 7 card from everyone's friends at Amazon. That should solve the problem (I hope!)

bdodd
Contributor

Agree with everything Tim said above. And here is a page showing performance results of a number of memory cards in the 7D Mark II:

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-7d-mark-ii/fastest-sd-cf-card-comparison/

Cheers,

Bill

EOS 7D Mk II, EOS 40D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM

Thanks, Bill -

That's an extremely interesting and informative article

It is not enough to just buy high quality CF and SD cards.  Sandisk, Lexar or even Transend.  You must get them from reputable dealers as there are counerfit cards out there that look exactly like the real deal.  Make sure you know from where they come.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements