cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from a t6 Ideas

rpfannkuch
Contributor

I'm currently working with a canon t6, I'm 16, I just got my tax return, the canon t6 has been holding me back for quite some time, I do a lot of automotive, portraits, and stuff for my military school. I also love doing Astrophotography, I've been looking around for new cameras, I need something with a swivel, more aggressive shots when I need to get low, I was looking at the 77D, T7I, and the T6i. I need to stay under 760, I was also looking at the canon 70-200 2.8L USM lens, I used my buddies t6i the other day with my same 50mm f1.8 lens and I know in some circumstances that cameras aren't what makes a picture look better its the glass, but it seems the t6 is kind of like a child's toy, it overcorrects a lot of photos, when i used the T6i there were huge differences photos looked alot better even with the same settings. Don't get me wrong it's not bad, but I wanted something better, any opinions on something better? I use raw photo editing software to re-correct photo's

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
The 77D is on sale at Canon’s Online Refurbished Store. Supplies have been known to run out.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Camera upgrade, lens or both?

Sounds like you are looking at a lens outside of your current budget.

Camera wise, choice between 77D and T6i, I'd go 77D

Between 77D and T7i is a harder choice.  Biggest differences, top mount display and weight.  Design, build quality and what's inside is about the same.

Let's see what others say as well.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Well, one or the other, I'm finding canon 70-200mm f2.8 for around 700 that are open box or refurbished. The Gen 1 lense, not gen 3. I currently have the canon t6 with 55-250MM USM lens and a Canon 50mm f1.8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
”Between 77D and T7i is a harder choice. Biggest differences, top mount display and weight. Design, build quality and what's inside is about the same.”

There is s major difference in how the rear panels are laid out. The 77D has a rear control dial, which the T7i lacks

John_
Authority

The T7i is available right now from Canon for $449 refurbished with a one year warranty. https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t7i-ef-s-18-55-is-stm-kit-refurbished 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
At the current asking prices over there, I would choose the 77D over the T7i all day long. That rear control dial is very useful.

Thank you, helps a lot, I'm narrowin my decision down alot.

I have never been a fan of the 77D. It is a camera that didn't need to be.  It's really a dead end.  The Rebel line on the other hand is strong, so I suggest you look at the T7i.  Or, if you can swing it, check out the 90D.  It is a real jewel and a real upgrade.

In your situation you already have the 55-250mm zoom and a 50mil f1.8, I would opt for a 90D before I decided to buy the used 70-200mm f2.8L.  I see the bigger gain from the better camera than the lens. However, I would do the lens as soon as possible after you recover from buying the 90D. Then you can sell the 55-250mm zoom.  The 50mil and the 70-200mm zoom will make a great start to a nice bag.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

John_SD
Whiz

@rpfannkuch wrote:

...I need something with a swivel, more aggressive shots when I need to get low, I was looking at the 77D, T7I, and the T6i. I need to stay under 760...

Hit the refurbished store on the Canon site. I'd go with the 77D or the T7i. You can also take a look at B&H. You can get the 77D new and on sale for $549. 

Announcements