Upgrading Camera

ecronly
Apprentice

Hi all,  

Thanks in advance for any advice you have offer. I have the Canon 2000D and I’m looking to upgrade to a body that gives me better quality photos and more customisation as I want to continue my journey and experiment. 

I have the following lenses and I would ideally like to keep them and use them on the new body

Zoom EF-5 18-55mm 1:3.5 - 5.6 IS II

Zoom EF-5 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM

EF Lens 50mm 1:1.8 STM

but need some advice on what body to upgrade to that will allow me to use my lenses. I only use it for stills so don’t need something with excellent video quality. My 2000D is in excellent condition so would be looking to trade in. Ideally my price range is around €1000-€1500 ($1,100 - $1600) but willing to go a little higher. 

Many thanks! 

3 REPLIES 3

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Do you want to stay with APS-C or move to Full Frame. Your lenses can be adapted to the EOS R series. Note older lenses DO NOT fully support the highly advanced AF system of the EOS R series. A lot of older lenses have AF motors that are simply to slow to keep up. They don't have the necessary hardware to support it.

Lens Compatability New.png

• EOS: Electro Optical System (What EOS stands for)
  • EF: Electronic Focus: lens mount ALL EOS DSLRs & Film SLRs use (original EOS Mount) (Red Circle Mounting Index, 12 o’clock position)
  • EF-S: A separate lens Mount designed for APS-C DSLRs NOT compatible and won’t mount to any Full Frame Digital, 35mm Film SLRs or APS-H DSLRs. Note this is a DSLR Crop Sensor ONLY Mount. (White Square Mounting Index, 1 o’clock position)
  • EF-M: Lens Mount for EOS-M series Mirrorless cameras. Incompatible with DSLRs or EOS Film SLRs & EOS R Series. (White Circle Mounting Index, 11 o’clock position) (2012-2023, DISCONTINUED). 
  • RF: Lens Mount for EOS R series Mirrorless cameras. ALL RF & RF-S lenses use focus by wire for Full Time Manual Focus. Regardless of USM or STM in the name. Incompatible with EOS DSLRs or EOS Film SLRs. (Red Oval Mounting Index, 12 o’clock position)
  • RF-S: Lens is optimized for EOS R series APS-C cameras. Can be used on EOS R series Full Frame cameras but the image is cropped to the APS-C image circle. Note this is NOT a separate lens mount.
  • Full Frame Digital: Image sensor is the same size as a single negative of 35mm Film which measures 36x24.
  • APS-H (Advanced Photo System Half Frame): Image sensor is 1.3x smaller than 35mm Film. An APS-H image sensor measures (27.7x18.5). This format was previously used by Canon in older 1D series cameras.
  • APS-C (Advanced Photo System Classic): Image sensor is 1.5 or 1.6x smaller than 35mm Film. An APS-C image sensor measures 22.6x15 Canon uses a 1.6x crop factor.
  • L: Canon's professional grade lenses only available in Full Frame lenses NO APS-C lenses available. Lens has a RED ring on the lens barrel. (EF 100-300mm F/5.6first "L" lens in the EF lineup)
  • DO: Diffractive Optics uses Fresnel lenses. Lens has a GREEN ring on the lens barrel.
  • I, II, III, IV, V: Some lenses, speedlites & Teleconverters have multiple revisions such as the EF 28-80 F/3.5-5.6 V USM (ONLY lens to have a Version V)Speedlite 430EX III-RT (ONLY Speedlite to have a Version III)
  • Ring Type USM: AF motor type. Provides fast focusing stands for Ultrasonic Motor. Ring Type USM is the original USM AF motor. Shaped like a ring inside the lens. Allows Full Time Manual Focus either Focus by Wire or mechanical. EF 300mm F/2.8L USM (First Ring Type USM lens) ALL RF Mount lenses use focus by wire for Full Time Manual Focus.
  • Micro Motor USM: Cheaper and slower AF Motor doesn't allow Full Time Manual Focus. Lens uses gears to adjust focus. EXCEPT for the EF 50mm F/1.4 USM lens (refer to Ring Type USM Mechanical Focus override). EF/ EF-S Mount ONLY. (1993-2008 retired, replaced by Nano USM)
  • Nano USM: Combines STM and Ring Type USM technology for fast AF. Allows Full Time Manual Focus is Focus by wire. (EF-S 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM first Nano USM lens) (2016- Present)
  • STM: Stepper Motor for quiet AF. Allows Full Time Manual Focus which is Focus by Wire. ALL EF-M lenses used an STM AF motor. RF 10-20mm F4L IS STM (First L series lens to use an STM AF Motor) (2012- Present) RF 28-70mm F/2.8 IS STM (First constant aperture STM zoom lens)
  • AFD: Arc-Form Drive original EOS AF motor. No longer in use was replaced by Micro Motor in 1993 for new lens designs. No Full Time Manual Focus. ONLY used in the EF Mount NO EF-S, EF-M or RF Mount lenses. (Retired 1987-1992)
  • Micro Motor: Older least advanced AF motor slower AF used in cheaper lenses. No Full Time Manual Focus. ONLY used in the EF/ EF-S Mount. (Retired, 1993-2012) Replaced by STM in 2012.
  • VCM: Voice Coil Motor provides fast AF. The RF 35mm F/1.4L VCM is the first lens to use this new AF motor.
  • IS: Image Stabilization available in the lens.
  • IBIS: In Body Image Stabilization available in select EOS R Series cameras.
  • Macro: A macro lens with 1:1 magnification
  • Compact Macro: Lens is able to focus closer than a normal macro lens.
  • MP-E: Manual Focus only electronic aperture control no focus to infinity.
  • TS-E: Tilt Shift lens with electronic aperture control no Autofocus. 
  • Soft Focus: Lens is designed to provide a creamy bokeh effect.
  • PZ: Power Zoom lens. Only 1 lens released with this feature. Only the EF 35-80mm F/4-5.6 PZ lens used this. 
  • TTL: Through The Lens Flash metering. Flash system relies on light reflected off the film. NOT compatible with EOS Digital cameras.
  • A-TTL: Advanced Through The Lens Flash metering system in EOS film bodies released in 1986 with the FD Mount T90 SLR. Replaced by E-TTL in 1995. System uses a pre-flash measured by a sensor on the speedlite itself. NOT compatible with EOS Digital cameras. Uses EZ series speedlites.
  • E-TTL Version 1: Evaluative Through The lens Flash metering system. System uses a pre-flash measured by the camera body to calculate flash exposure. System also relies on AF point selection too. Compatible with EX or EL series speedlites. Replaced by E-TTL II in 2004.
  • E-TTL II: Refer to E-TTL Version 1. System was released in 2004 and works similarly to the original E-TTL. But uses focus distance information from the lens. Via a distance encoder in the lens. E-TTL II doesn't rely on AF point selection. Note E-TTL II is IMPLEMENTED in the camera body NOT the speedlite. Speedlite 380EX first E-TTL compatible speedlite released in 1995.
  • EOS M Series: A discontinued APS-C mirrorless lineup of cameras (2012-2023). Replaced by EOS R Series APS-C cameras in 2023. EF-M lenses CAN NOT BE ADAPTED to EOS DSLRs or EOS R cameras.
  • EOS R Series: Originally released in 2018 with Full Frame cameras only. Later in 2023 with APS-C cameras. New APS-C lenses were released. 
  • Z: Lens has an optional attachment to allow power zoom. RF 24-105mm F/2.8L IS USM Z (first lens has this feature).
  • Automatic Brightness Adjustment of LED AF Assist Beam: Feature IS NOT SUPPORTED on the R3, R7 & R10 camera bodies when the speedlite EL-5 is used. LED AF Assist Beam is projected at FULL BRIGHTNESS ONLY. Or will switch to Intermittent Flash Firing. All other cameras with a Multi-Function hot shoe will automatically adjust the LED AF Assist Beam depending on the ambient brightness.
  • AF Assist Beam: An AF Assist Lamp to aid the camera’s AF system in low light or low contrast situations.
  • IR AF Assist Beam: A red grid pattern projected by the speedlite to aid an SLR/ DSLR camera’s AF system. Note this red grid pattern IS NOT Infrared. This AF Assist Beam type is compatible on all EOS SLRs & DSLRs. This type of AF Assist Beam IS INCOMPATIBLE with mirrorless cameras.
  • Intermittent Flash Firing AF Assist Beam: Camera rapidly pulses the speedlite for AF Assist. This AF Assist Beam type IS SUPPORTED ON ALL EX & EL speedlites when used on the EOS R Series. Note speedlites that have a PERSONAL FUNCTION for IR & Intermittent Flash Firing. Always use Intermittent Flash Firing on the EOS R series regardless of the projection method. When set to Intermittent Flash Firing. If a color filter or flash diffuser is used. The camera body emits an LED AF Assist Beam on the EOS R series. Intermittent Flash Firing is DISABLED when a color filter or flash diffuser is used. Speedlites without a PERSONAL FUNCTION between IR and Intermittent Flash Firing. The speedlite WILL use Intermittent Flash Firing on the EOS R series. Note depending on the ambient lighting an AF Assist Beam may be projected by the camera body instead of the speedlite on the EOS R series. This AF Assist Beam type ONLY works on cameras released from 2007-onward. 
  • LED AF Assist Beam: Bright white light (on a speedlite) or orange LED light (on an EOS R series camera body) that aids the camera for AF Assist. This AF Assist Beam type ONLY works on cameras released from 2007-onward. 
-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome!

The DSLR platform is just about dead now, and the main effort and new developments for both bodies and lenses are with the R-series Mirrorless Interchangeable Camera (MILC) platform.  The camera you have is an APS-C crop-sensor model, so it would make sense to choose a similar style camera on that platform.

The R-series bodies are a major step up from what you are using. They have much better sensors and processors, they have face and eye detect and tracking and the top-end ones have In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) that enhances the stabilization from some lenses to make hand-holding even better in low light or with long FL lenses.

The models I would suggest you consider would be the R7, R10 and R50.  There is a R100, but it is not as good as your current camera for multiple reasons.   I personally prefer the R10 of the bunch as it has a sensor with fewer MP and that means it works better in low light and it also will focus and track better than the higher MP R7.

You can use your current EF and EF-S lenses on those bodies with no issues via the Canon EF-RF adapter.
https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-mount-adapter-ef-eos-r

You can browse the current selection of bodies from Canon's Refurbished shot, which offers over-stock but new, open box but unused, demo or show units 'good as new' with a Canon warranty, and some savings:
Canon Mirrorless APS-C Refurbished Cameras There is a good deal with the F10 and the excellent walk-around lens the RF 18-150mm.  This is a native lens for the R platform and does not require an adapter. 

If you really want to move up a level, consider selling your existing camera and the two EF-S lenses so you can fund the following full-frame cameras:
https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-eos-r6-mark-ii-body  (you can be notified when available)
This is a prosumer body - superior build, weather sealing, IBIS, top of the line focus and Face-tracking, high end sensor with excelling ISO performance and top-end processor.  It's controls are highly customizable and it will perform well with future high-end RF lenses.

Pair that with the excellent RF 24-240 IS USM super-zoom lens and you will have a serious kit that can be expanded later with RF glass. 
https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-rf24-240mm-f4-6-3-is-usm
Here are some sample images with that lens on R6 bodies.  For most of your photography, this would be a single lens that does a lot, very well.
One Test of a RF 24-240 Super Zoom Lens - Does it ... - Canon Community
Moody Morning the the R6 & RF 24-240 - Canon Community
Trying out the RF 24-240 on Wildlife with the R5 - Page 2 - Canon Community

I love this lens and it punches way above its price point.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

John_SD
Whiz

You are at an appropriate exit point to leave dead tech behind and step into mirrorless. I would start getting quotes on your gear from MPB, KEH, etc. Or similar outfits. Your old camera and lenses have served you well, but it is time to move on. Your budget of $1100-$1600 will be a limiting factor if you are considering full frame. Buying refurbished can lower your costs some. Otherwise, go with an APS-C body like the EOS R7, which by all accounts delivers a lot of bang for the buck. And you can get a nice RF lens or two to go along with it, by selling your existing EF lenses and using the proceeds on top of your budget money. Best of luck and enjoy the world of mirrorless!

Announcements