cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4i Shutter Count

hernhombeecaryb
Contributor

How do I display the shutter actuation count in my T4i?

7 REPLIES 7

diverhank
Authority
There isn't a way to do this in camera. There are a number of software (on and offline) that will do this for you. Most requires a fee, some are free. Some work, some don't.

I use an offline freeware called EOSMSG that works great with my 50D and 5D3. The problem is the place I downloaded it from was boobytrapped with malware...I got through without getting infected by the skin of my teeth. The software itself is clean.
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The camera doesn't display shutter count anywhere in camera nor on any EXIF data embedded with the images, etc.  But it does keep track of the shutter count.  Retrieving it requires a utility.  Canon does not supply a utility.

Canon does have an SDK and developers can apply for access to it -- this allows them to write utilities which access the camera and the shutter count data is available this way.

There is a utility named EOSCount which used to be free but they've changed it... it now runs as an ActiveX control for Windows users.  Mac users can use it but have to download and install a small utility.  Regardless... it's a pay-per-use application.  Unfortunately they don't post how much they charge for a "use" (at least I was not able to find it.)

If you have a Mac, there is a utility you can download from the Mac "App Store" named "ShutterCount" .  It costs a few dollars to buy it (I seem to recall it was less than $5), but then you get unlimited use (not a pay-per-use.) 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Can you u/l an unaltered photo?  There may be a way to retirve the info.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Can you u/l an unaltered photo?  There may be a way to retirve the info.

Unfortunately, not on Canon.  Nikon embeds the shuttercount as part of the embedded image data.  Canon does not.  The ONLY way to retrieve shutter count is via a uility which is connected to the camera with a USB cable.

I've heard arguments on the wisdom of this.  While some think it's a convenient way to get the shutter count, others don't like the idea that the shutter count is not just available to them... it's available to anyone else as long as your EXIF data is included in the image.

Canon doesn't embed the data -- so there's no spooky privacy issues.  But that means you must have a utility to find the shutter count.  

It would be nice if EOS Utility included this in a menu.  Unfortunately it does not.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

" Unfortunately it does not."

Ah, but perhaps Canon does!

5.jpg

This is the same number (nearly) CPS reported. It is exactly the same number EOSCount gives.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The xmp metadata records zero value for all my shots
<aux:ImageNumber>0</aux:ImageNumber>
I found where Adobe allows namespace for this value in the xmp, but Adobe notes that exif data is owned by Japan's CIPA. I have not yet had a chance to see when and how exif writes a value here.

I use the free Magic Lantern software to get the shutter count for my T4i/650D.

None of the software solutions on the PC or Mac worked.

Magic Lantern software installed on the camera SD card shows the mechanical shutter count plus live view count.

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/ - the software download area for Magic Lantern

https://youtu.be/KocwaCz6Ymk - a Rebel camera owner demonstrating how Magic Lantern displays the shutter count.

Announcements