cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Focus Screen/prism for EOS Rebel T6/1300D? Has anyone done this successfully?

gedansky
Contributor

I have a new condition Canon EOS T6 and specs/shadows suddenly appeared on the upper right corner of the viewfinder.  I followed DP Review blog, Google and Youtube instructions for cleaning and only made it worse. 

It was only after that, that I find the video "DON'T CLEAN YOUR FOCUS SCREEN!". 

I contacted my local camera repair shop and learned that Canon doesn't clean/repair/replace focus screens in the EOS Rebel series. They are considered "fixed"/non-removable.

That said... there are several third parties who sell replacements on eBay and even through the Wallmart online store, as well as a few videos showing how simple they are to replace with just a pair of surgical gloves and some plastic tweezers.  

Has anyone done this successfully? Can you provide info?

Also, has anyone replaced their foam light curtain? 

Thanks! 

20 REPLIES 20

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If there is dirt on the focusing screen, then it should not appear in Live View.

If it does not appear in Live View, then it will not appear in your photos.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks, I don't use live view except to check pics.  I never use it to focus, I only use the optical viewfinder.  And, I can see it when I sight and it's bothersome.  Especially since I knew it was perfect just a week or so ago.  So, I want to pull it and replace it with new. 

There seems to be a lot of sellers online claiming Canon part number  CY3-1790-000 is the focus screen for the T6 1300D. 

If that is true you should be able to have a camera repair shop change it for you. 

46C92B1C-F892-462D-94DC-283B6F5E63D9.jpeg

FA4935C9-077B-423C-9A99-5909C9C309EF.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

There are no user replaceable screens for the Rebel T6 made or sold by Canon.  Never has been, and never will be.

There is not a "user" replaceable screen, but I just called Canon and they do sell a CY3-1790-000 focus screen for the T6. 

If they sell the part then it must be replaceable by a qualified service technician.

Mike Sowsun

"Never has been, and never will be."

There is a big difference between just a forum reader and a person that  actually does things.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Never has been, and never will be."

There is a big difference between just a forum reader and a person that  actually does things.

You left out the "user replaceable" part of the quote.  

@MikeSowsun wrote:

There is not a "user" replaceable screen, but I just called Canon and they do sell a CY3-1790-000 focus screen for the T6. 

If they sell the part then it must be replaceable by a qualified service technician.

"I have a new condition Canon EOS T6 and specs/shadows suddenly appeared on the upper right corner of the viewfinder.  I followed DP Review blog, Google and Youtube instructions for cleaning and only made it worse. 

It was only after that, that I find the video "DON'T CLEAN YOUR FOCUS SCREEN!". "

Correct, there are no "user replaceable" screens.  Someone who makes this mistake, is definitely a "user", and not a skilled tech.

Mike,

Thanks to you and everyone else for your help and feedback.

Canon doesn't do the replacing and our best local shop won't do it, and says the people they outsource bigger jobs to won't do it.  That said. The video is pretty self explanatory...

1) Wear surgical gloves

2) turn the camera upside down

3) use tweezers to push the little metal clip in front in and upward and remove the top metal frame that holds the focus screen in place

4) use tweezers to remove the old screen

5) takeout the bottom metal frame below the screen

6) use a brush and air bulb to clean out the camera 

7) put the bottom frame back in

😎 place the new focus screen in place

9) put the top metal frame back in, making sure to place the two little tabs in the back into the little holes in the camera

10) push down and lock in place

Pretty much the same way it works for the all the higher D series cameras with the user removable/cleanable/replaceable focus screens.  But, because the Rebel series is considered disposable tech, much of it is considered to be unserviceable, even if it can be serviced.  

I have only have $224 in this camera (new condition, only 2336 clicks when I bought it).  I want to fix it.  But, if I screw it up, I can sell it for parts and start saving for the 90D. 

Announcements