cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7 or any recommendations

odeller
Apprentice

I found a R7 for $900 used, but I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if i can get a better suited camera for around the same price. I usually take automotive pictures and some landscapes while being open to trying new things. I'm wondering if this can keep up with some night photography too. So far I've only experienced cameras like the sony a6400,nikon d3100 and Canon d1300.

2 REPLIES 2

ctitanic
Rising Star

The Canon R7 falls short for night photography. While crop sensor cameras generally face more challenges in low-light situations compared to full-frame options, the R7’s limitations seem even more pronounced. For those focusing on night photography, a full-frame camera is typically the better choice to capture cleaner, more detailed images with minimal noise. Unfortunately, the R7 doesn't quite meet the mark here. For around that price I would recommend you to get the R8 refurbished from Canon.

Here is the dynamic range chart for the R7 vs R8.

Screenshot 2024-10-28 095154.png

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

March411
Mentor

Hey odeller, welcome to the forum.

You mentioned you found an R7 but didn't mention where, is it a trusted Canon reseller? Do you know what the camera was used for and the shutter count?

To ctitanic point the R8 from the Canon site would offer a body within you budget and from a quality reseller and for $100, if you can expand your budget a 2 year warranty.  The linked body is in stock, will ship quickly and is listed @ $999.

Just something to think about.

No trees were destroyed in the posting of this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

Announcements