cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7 in FV mode settings keep changing

Cerulean1
Apprentice

I often use FV mode with shutter speed and aperture setting selected and ISO set at auto.  My pre-selected shutter speed and aperture are changing on their own while the camera is on, with shutter speed changing to a very slow shutter speed or AUTO, and aperture to AUTO.  Is there anything in the menu selections that would cause this or perhaps I am accidentally pressing other buttons causing this. Suggestions welcome.

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If I read your post correctly, you said you are using Fv with Shutter and Aperture set manually and ISO set to Auto.  Then when the camera is on, the manually set shutter and aperture are changing on their own or reverting to Automatic?

If this is the behavior you are seeing, I'd recommend resetting the camera's main and custom settings, then retest.  We've recently seen posts from others who have experienced similar unexpected behavior. They appear to be related to combinations of settings or unintentional changes.  The menus on the newest cameras (and firmware) are becoming increasingly complex.  

shadowsports_0-1680487976996.png

Depending on settings, the manually set options should not change unless selected.

However, is it possible you have something mapped to the lenses Control Ring?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Cerulean1
Apprentice

Found issue. The arrow buttons around the Q button return settings to auto. Reprogrammed them to do nothing

@Cerulean1 wrote:

Found issue. The arrow buttons around the Q button return settings to auto. Reprogrammed them to do nothing

I am not a fan of that solution.  It is more of a work around, IMHO.  What happens if you want to use the default functions that are assigned to those buttons?

I use similar settings to you.  I use M shooting mode with ISO Auto for outdoor photography.  I think Fv is good if you find a need to quickly switch between the Creative Shooting Modes. Otherwise, I find it too easy to change the shooting mode behavior without realizing it.

I recommend that you restore the default programming of those buttons.  Use M shooting mode with ISO Auto.  Furthermore, save this camera configuration to a custom shooting mode with automatic updates disabled.  With your settings saved in a Custom Shooting mode, any accidental changes will get reset as soon as the metering mode timer expires.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Received your update.  Good work 👍 solving.  A settings reset might have ferreted this out as well.  😉

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements