cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 freezes on Firmware 1.8.1 update; cannot select version to complete update

jhar72
Apprentice

In an effort to update my R5 to firmware 1.8.1, the camera freezes on the update screen after the software has uploaded to the camera. I've started over at least three times, changed out the battery, but cannot select the update on the screen. There is no difficulty connecting the camera to my Samsung S21 through Canon Camera Connect software. The Connect software on my phone has no difficulty downloading 1.8.1, or transferring it to the camera. But the R5 gets stuck on the update screen where I am to select the firmware version I wish to use on the camera. What am I missing here?Screenshot 2023-04-04 064052.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thank you for your quick reply. I was "not able to move the selection cursor using the rear dial, then press the set button to execute?"

I was trying to use the touch screen (rather than the Set button) when it was time to select the downloaded Firmware choice that was showing on the screen. But I couldn't get the touch screen or Set button to activate/select the choice of new firmware to update the camera software. 

However, before trying your way, I went back to the camera to see if I could update the software through just the camera menu. Sure enough, going to the Tool menu/Firmware, I was able to select the new firmware, which now was listed, and use the Set button to Update to the new firmware. I am guessing this is because the new firmware had successfully downloaded on to the camera through the EOS Utility in my previous attempts to update, it's just that the EOS utility screen to finish the update after downloading onto the camera would not work.  Hope this all makes sense.

Thanks for your assistance. I believe this issue is resolved. 

View solution in original post

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You are correct.  Many people have experienced this, and posted the same question.  I should have said you cannot use the touch screen.

So now you're updated. Enjoy v1.8.1.  😃.  If you like, try the PS (Ibis Hi-Res) option for creating some JPEGS.  I've heard they print in dramatic detail.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I do not recommend using the EOS utility to upgrade the firmware on your camera.  You can use a card reader or copy the firmware file directly to the root directory of the SD card when the camera is connected to your PC or Mac.  The utility is not needed.

I'm not clear what you mean by "gets stuck"?  Gets stuck when you try to execute the update or are you not able to move the selection cursor using the rear dial or back button, then press the set button to execute?

I suggest you copy the .FIR file to the card yourself.  This is the safest method for upgrade.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for your quick reply. I was "not able to move the selection cursor using the rear dial, then press the set button to execute?"

I was trying to use the touch screen (rather than the Set button) when it was time to select the downloaded Firmware choice that was showing on the screen. But I couldn't get the touch screen or Set button to activate/select the choice of new firmware to update the camera software. 

However, before trying your way, I went back to the camera to see if I could update the software through just the camera menu. Sure enough, going to the Tool menu/Firmware, I was able to select the new firmware, which now was listed, and use the Set button to Update to the new firmware. I am guessing this is because the new firmware had successfully downloaded on to the camera through the EOS Utility in my previous attempts to update, it's just that the EOS utility screen to finish the update after downloading onto the camera would not work.  Hope this all makes sense.

Thanks for your assistance. I believe this issue is resolved. 

I should also clarify that in my haste there is a possibility I only tried to move the dial surrounding Set rather than simply pushing Set, and was expecting the touch screen feature to work, which maybe it doesn't in this utility. I did not have Lock on. I confirmed Lock was disabled when the touch screen would not work. Hope this makes sense. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You are correct.  Many people have experienced this, and posted the same question.  I should have said you cannot use the touch screen.

So now you're updated. Enjoy v1.8.1.  😃.  If you like, try the PS (Ibis Hi-Res) option for creating some JPEGS.  I've heard they print in dramatic detail.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements