cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 features that are "missing". Could they be added?

LeonardhoFstade
Apprentice

With the R5:

1. Can it record to an SSD via it's USB-C, similar to how the Blackmagics can? (If so, can it do it at all Resolutions and frame rates?). Just trying to save on cards.

2. Can it Record EXTERNALLY to a recorder at the 8K30, or 4K120 settings?

3. Is there a resolution between 8K30 and 4K120? (I'd love to see a 6K60, or even a 6K48 or 6K30, or 5K60 type thing, which I'm guessing it's capable of physically). I just want the ability to punch in slightly/stabilise to output at 4K, with slight slow mo ability.

If these features are missing, is this something that could come in the future?

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Capable, maybe, but your asking for people to predict the future.

Recording to external storage?  I wouldn't count on this ability.  Its a camera, not a camcorder.  Much is possible and we'll have to see.  I believe a heat limitation has been stipulated.  Not a defect, but a hardware limitation.  So even with "less expensive" storage hi-res recording time will be limited.  Thankfully this is why we have camcorders.   

I was really looking forward to the R5 as an upgrade.  (Right) Now, no so much.  I know its going to be great, but I don't need 8K, I want a camera that I don't need 2-3 batteries in order to shoot all day.  Also one that offers under 400 shots per charge at a price point $300-$400 dollars more than ( I feel) it should have been at launch.  But thats the price of new tech, and its strictly my opinion.  I hope it will be everything we hoped for and will fly off the shelves.

I believed I would be compelled to upgrade.  The R6 was never on the table, but now the R5 isn't either (today).  Will see what the next 6-8 months brings.  Hoping for its success.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The features that you seem to need are typically only found in cinema cameras.

Personally, I do not see the R5 being used much for 8K 120 fps recording.  The files sizes will be HUGE.  The computer and storage hardware needed to process the volume of data generated at 8K 120 fps could easily cost 3-10x the cost of the camera.

For example, you will need more than nearly 6 GB of storage for each second of footage.  Each minute of footage captured 8K 120 fps will be almost 350 GB.  This will begin to exceed the capacity of most CFExpress cards.  

A 20 minute video clip will be almost 7 TB in size.  No one is going to be recording 20 minutes of footage in the camera.  I don't think they make memory cards that big, yet.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements