cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help - delay in capturing photo with new Rebel Sl1

Basketlacey
Apprentice
I bought a rebel SL1 a couple months back. It is replacing an older digital rebel from 9 years ago - I think it's an XT. I loved it when I first used it. Then I got it out to use over the holidays and there seems to be a crazy delay when taking pictures. I'm not sure if I have somehow messed up a setting or what the issue is. I'm using it in auto (green square). It's like its taking a long time for the picture to "record". Anyone have any ideas on how I might fix?
5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This sounds like you've enabled the 2-second delay timer.  

Most control changes are locked in in the 'green box' (full auto) mode... but enabling the delay timer is one feature you still get to change in that mode.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Reset the camera to factory defaults, or clear all settings.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Basketlacey
Apprentice
I'll check both of those things. Is it possible that I have the image quality too high??? It is set on 18M which seems to be the highest?

@Basketlacey wrote:
I'll check both of those things. Is it possible that I have the image quality too high??? It is set on 18M which seems to be the highest?

No.  The camera will take images at any resolution "instantly" because the images are captured to an internal memory buffer.  The images are then saved to the SD card, which isn't as fast as the internal memory.  

The only way you get a delay due to image size if you you are shooting in "continuous" mode and you take enough pictures to fill the internal memory buffer... which forces the camera to slow down until an image finishes being saved to card to make room for another image in-memory.  

You would hear this because in "continuous" mode the camera will go "click", "click", "click", "click"........... "click".........."click"... etc.  (in other words several fast clicks in a row... then a long pause between each successive click once the memory buffer is full.)

The 2-second delay timer is more common.  People switch this on, don't realize it, then are suprised when each time they press the shutter button the camera wont fire... until 2 seconds elapse.  The 2-second delay is great for shooting on tripod when you don't have a remote shutter-release.  This is because touching the camera (on tripod) usually creates a bit of vibration.  That can show up in long exposure photos.  But by enabling the 2 second delay, you allow the vibration to settle down before the shutter open.  This mode is ALSO used to take self-portraits using the IR remote trigger.  The 2 second delay means you can press the button on the remote, then you have 2 seonds to hide the trigger before the camera fires (so you don't end up with photos showing you pointing the remote at the camera.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Does the camera seem to be trying to focus during this lag? Sometimes that difficulty in grabbing focus will be an issue in lower light situations, particularly where the thing you are trying to focus on is not a clear sharp contrast to its background.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements