cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original Canon EOS that came out in 2004

seagal
Contributor

I have the original EOS DSLR that came out in 2004.  It's working ok, just slowing down.  I want to buy a new Canon and was wondering if the original lens, the 18 to 55, would fit a newer camera.  I also have a Tamron zoom lens I got back in 2006 or so and was wondering the same thing.  Also, what is a good replacement for that camera that doesn't cost a fortune and also has a vew finder and interchangeable lens? Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

Danny

Hi, seagal!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which Canon EOS camera you're using.  We've made quite a few over the years, though we have not yet made one simply called "EOS" by itself.  You'll find the model name on the front of the camera body.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 8 AM and midnight ET (5 AM to 9 PM PT) and Saturdays from 10 AM to 8 PM ET (7 AM to 5 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Thanks for asking.  I didn't see the full name since the other part was on the bottom.  It's an EOD Digital Rebel which came with an EFS 18-55mm lense.  On the bottom it says Canon DS6041.  When I bought it, I'm not a professional photograper, that was my only choice.  I have this lens and the Tamron zoom lense which was expensive and was hoping to get just a body to use these lenses especially since cameras are not cheap these days (then again, this one was about $1000.00).  I just wanted to know if these lenses would work on a new Canon and I guess I should ask if they would, which one.  I'm just an amature and don't do too much fiddling around with it.  The only problem with my old one is that it's a bit slow, but otherwise has been great that's why I wanted to stick to Canon.  A good, but relatively inexpensive model to take on trips, graduations etc.  That's what I need.  Thank you!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Guessing since you didn't provide much info but the 18-55 you mention is it the EF-S 18-55mm Canon lens?  If yes it will work.

IMHO, I would dump the Tamron, who knows if it will work.  Older Tamrons are very hit and miss and not really all that great when they work.  Again, IMHO.

When you buy you new camera, get the kit lenses that are offered with it.  That is your best deal and the new lenses are going to be way more better!  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for your response.  I just looked and yes that's the lens that came with it.  It's an EOS Digital Rebel EOS 300D.  I'm not a professional and wanted it to take pictures of nature, people, things like that.  I thought Tamrons were good, at least that's what people told me.  I don't want to spend a fortune on a new camera that's why I was hoping to get by with just buying a body and using the old lenses.  Are the ones you listed below in your email professional ones or just for reguar people like me? When I bought this camera it was about $1000.00!  Can't do that again, LOL!!  Thanks!

You still didn't tell me which model Rebel you have.  So I will guess it is a T1i or XS?  Which Tamron is it?

Some Tamrons are pretty good to excellent but in 2004 they were very hit and miss.  If you have a good one, than it will work on a new Rebel, too.  Lots of problems with Tamrons.

You know you may be able to trade in your old Rebel on a new one.  Call Canon and ask about the loyality trade-in program.

EB

Hi again!  There was nothing else written on the camera and that was the only choice I had so I figured that was that.  So I went into my files and found the manual that came with it.  The manual says EOS Digital Rebel and underneath it it says EOS 300D so I'm assuming they're the same ones.  The Tamron is an AF 70-300mm1:4-5.6 tele-macro (1.2) 62 A 17  You can tell how lng go I used it since I thought it wasa zoom lens.It also says LD D1 and 0.95m (3.1ft) 187745.  That's all I could find on it. I hope that helps!  Sporry for forgetting so much information.  Didn't realize it existed!

EOS 300D is the model number.  It is a 6MP, plastic version, of the more expensive EOS 10D.

Any New Rebel you buy will surpass every aspect of the 300D.  Check the trade-in offer from Canon.

The Tamron is a zoon so I don't know what you are saying there.  "... I thought it wasa zoom lens."

If it works as it should, it will also work on a new Rebel.  So both lenses will work as they do now.

EB

seagal
Contributor
Thanks for your response once again. It's a tamron zoom lens. I don't why i said that. Since you seem very knowledgeable about cameras do you know if the refurbished ones are good? You also said any new rebel would be better. Since i don't want to spend a lot and now realize i only need a body and am just an amature could you recommend an inexpensive rebel that is good. I see the t5i but was hoping to find something cheaper. I also checked canons loyalty program but they lost me there on that. I know there are some online stores especially in ny that have good prices. I really didn't want to spend more than $500 if that's even at all possible. Thanks! You've been great and very patient with me. Much appreciated!

seagal
Contributor
I ended up getting the EOS SL1 100D with a new 35 to 55 mm lens and they said my tamron lens will fit. I talked to someone who was a professional photographer. Haven't tried it yet but i think I'll be happy with it.
Announcements