cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newest Canon Firmware (1.1.3) on Canon 5d Mk III Causes Issues with Active USB Extension Cable

andrew_akaphoto
Apprentice

At first I thought it was either the new version of Capture One Pro 7 or and the latest update from OS X 10.8.3, but the camera no longer connects to Windows 7 with either Capture One Pro 6.4.4 or 7.1.1. And it always connected with Windows 7. When I used a regular usb cable without the extender everything worked fine on both computers and both software platforms.

Please fix asap Canon and don't blame anyone else cause this is definitely your doing!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You're right. After trying out new camera on both pc and mac, we tried a friends 5d mkiii with the extension cable and it's working. So, after spending several hours on this, I believe it's the camera itself. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

diverhank
Authority

What new firmware are you talking of? 1.1.3 that was released last year?  The new one has not come out yet.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Yes. 1.1.3. Sorry I'll change title to Newest.

I find it hard to believe that a firmware change would prevent use of an extension cable.  Since it works with a regular USB cable, why wouldn't it work with an extension cable...why would a firmware change cause that? The more likely scenario would be that your extension cable has developed a fault and the firmware change was coincidental?  Do you have another extension cable to try?  I would eliminate this possibility before concluding the blame on the firmware.

You're right. After trying out new camera on both pc and mac, we tried a friends 5d mkiii with the extension cable and it's working. So, after spending several hours on this, I believe it's the camera itself. 

Hi All

firmware 1.2.0 on 5d mk 3 is this the latest ?

just arrived from hk 26 april 2013

Kev

I think it should be 1.2.1.  Some parts of Asia already have this update and a few in the US have upgraded their cameras using the firmware without problems.  In the US, we should get it on April 30.  I can wait a few days...no sense risking bricking the camera for only a few days worth of wait.

@diverhank wrote:

I think it should be 1.2.1.  Some parts of Asia already have this update and a few in the US have upgraded their cameras using the firmware without problems.  In the US, we should get it on April 30.  I can wait a few days...no sense risking bricking the camera for only a few days worth of wait.

Exactly, we've waited this long, what's another day or two.  I'm amazed at how many people have upgraded theirs from this "unofficial" dropbox source.

Does it at least focus better in low light now, with the new firmware?
One thing I have heard the firmware does do is fowl up the camera's interface with 3rd party batteries, so the battery charge level stops registering on the meter.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements