cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My canon keeps turning off on its own.

futuero
Contributor

My canon had been working just fine and out of nowhere it started turning off on its own. The screen goes black after a couple of photos for no reason. Every time this happens I take the fully charged battery off and put on my 2nd fully charged battery. Then it turns on again and allows me to use it again for some photos and ends up turning back off. If I simply take it off and then put back in the same battery it doesn't work. I have to put on the other battery. Either way it ends up dying and it only works for a while when I change the batteries. There's no message at all. The screen goes black and it won't turn on.

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What camera?

How old are the batteries?

canon 550D and one of them is about 5 years old and the other is maybe 3 years old.

So it quits, you put the new battery in and it works for a short time and quits again, yes?

If so, can you then reinstall the first battery and have the camera come back on? I'm wondering if it's the act of changing the battery that brings it back on.

Or, after it fails the first time, is that battery completely discharged? To the point where you have to run a complete recharge cycle on it?

its the act of changing them because without charging it up again I can change them back and it will work. But if I take one off and then put it back on it won't work. Only when it's a different one. But it makes no sense because they are still charged.

Are they Canon Batteries?

yes, both are official batteries

Since it is both batteries, it might be a broken charger, or a broken camera.

Especially if both batteries developed this problem simultaneously, because the odds against that happening are astronomical. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

i sent my camera to a shop that repairs things just to see if they found out what's wrong. according to them they'd have to reset my camera but I find it odd. i didn't really want to be spending money on another charger without knowing if that's the issue though.

"i sent my camera to a shop that repairs things just to see if they found out what's wrong. according to them they'd have to reset my camera but I find it odd.

================================================================================================

A shop that repairs things? That's a little frightening. It sounds like they haven't a clue so the first thing they are going to try is to simply reset to default. Which won't harm anything but the fact that it sounds like they really don't know is not good. At least it seems so to me.

I would first call Canon, at which point they are probably going to tell you to send it to them. The people that made the camera will have a fair idea how to fix it.

From your answers to all of the questions above it sounds to me like the problem is in the camera as opposed to the batteries. If you know someone that has the same battery maybe you could try theirs but I am thinking camera.

Send it to Canon.

Announcements