cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moon photos? - EOS Rebel T7

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I can't find the photos to give the settings for my T7. It was a full moon, set the camera on the tripod with the Sigma 150-600mm lens set at 600mm. I could look through the viewfinder and see the "man in the moon" clearly. However, when I downloaded the photos on my laptop, I got a surprise and disappointment. The jpg photo came out perfect but the RAW photo was a blurred blob. Again, sorry I can't find the photos to give the settings. I know you are taking potluck with suggestions...like take up word search puzzles. Thanks.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi John:
Trying to do analysis of an image without data is a challenge!
Are the JPG and RAW images the actual same image?   I would expect the RAW file to be adapted by the algorithms for things like exposure, but much less for focus - could the blurring you recall have just been exposure?  Given the full moon is actually a very bright object against an essentially black sky, it is usually the case that just focusing and relying on the camera to get the exposure right, especially if using the default evaluative metering will result in the moon being blown out, because the contrast is too great across the FoV.
I shoot with spot metering, and may do so in either manual or Av mode, but either way, I can use a fairly fast shutter speed, and usually have to reduce the exposure down quite a bit to get the details.  For example this image:
Canon EOS R5, Sigma 150-600c@600mm, f/8, 1/1250sec, ISO-640Canon EOS R5, Sigma 150-600c@600mm, f/8, 1/1250sec, ISO-640
Here is the readout of the settings from PS:

Tronhard_0-1702322648634.png

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Yes to your question. Much to the chagrin of some, I shoot both RAW and jpg. Thanks for your tips and your method of spot metering and Av setting. Will consult the manual on spot metering. Have no idea where to look for the photos. Thought I had made a separate file for such photos.

John

Ha!  Well, I shoot both, so you're in good company! 🙂  I hope it works out for the next full moon that is not so far away.  The good news one can shoot check out the result, tweak and have another go.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Thanks again, Trevor. I thought you might have a crystal ball that reveals the answer. I'll search and see if I can find the photos and post them along with the settings. Cheers.

John
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements