cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Streaming With Canon EOS Cameras - Yes you can do it! (Mac Only)

mirajadesign
Contributor

I am a longtime Canon user. I personally own 3 Canon EOS cameras. So naturally, when I decided to get into the world of live streaming I wanted to use the gear I already own. But as most of you know Canon self-limits some of their cameras that inhibit the ability to live stream natively (ie: no clean HDMI output, auto shutoff, manual focus only, etc..). Of course, you can do this with multiple capture cards which are not only expensive but extremely hard to find at the time of writing this post due to COVID.

I spent a lot of time and energy researching and trying to get my Canon gear to work. Well I am happy to share that I did it! I made it all work!

For live streaming with Canon EOS cameras, I have successfully been using ECAMM Live with my M50, 6DMKII, and 5DMKII all connected with USB cables.

No capture card needed. No EOS Utility needed. Clean HDMI. No auto-shutoff. Auto Focus works. 

ECAMM Live is by far the best solution for using Canon cameras for live streaming. It just works the way you need it to. The only caveat is that it is MAC software only. I do not know how to do it with Windows.

I have my setup paired with an Elgato Stream Deck for scene changes. I even have 2 additional camera angles set up using a couple of iPhones. I have 5 camera angles all controlled with ECAMM via USB. Can't be beaten IMO. It also works as a virtual webcam so you can use your Canon cameras for things Zoom and Skype. 

Sidenote: I did buy a Black Magic ATEM Mini hoping the Canon Cameras could go through it via HDMI. But the cameras kept auto shutting down and the HDMI is not clean, but there are workarounds. I could never get the 5DMKII to show the full screen. Apparently the ATEM thinks the 5DMKII outputs a 4:3 screen. So I guess I will stick with ECAMM because it works beautifully.

I hope this helps some of you looking to live stream with Canon Cameras. Good luck!

- Raja

17 REPLIES 17

ruserious
Apprentice

Thanks for the encouragement on this. It's good to know the M50 will give clean HDMI and and go past 30 mins.

I also have an M50 and a StreamDeck, which covers both USB ports. Now, I want a second camera. My option appears to be a USB hub, and everybody I've come into contact with — online and off — says they are horrible and don't work.

Before I buy that second camera, I need to get some clarity on this subject.

Any thoughts? Would appreciate any info you can offer.

kristinh
Contributor
I just set up my ECamm and it works great so far. I am testing it with a classroom today. Thank you for the suggestion. Solves my problem for sure since I cannot get a capture card (video to sub-c converter) anywhere right now.

Krondog
Apprentice

How were you able to get the different cameras to register independently? It only registers one of mine at a time, and it excludes all the other ones

rsmacleod
Apprentice

I have the Canon Webcam utility installed and am trying to capture video/audio to mix in iMovie and make teaching videos. I used to use Apple's own Quicktime for capture but it will not see the M50 I have connected.  So I am looking for alternative screen capture tools.  I tried Snagit and it also fails to find the camera.  I tried mmhmm and it sees the camera fine but the videos it makes lack synchronization between audio and video (which I could fix in iMovie but this seems like an unacceptable hassle).  

What other tools can people recommend for simple video (and audio) recording, not streaming, but just recording?  As I say, Quicktime used to do all I needed but not with the M50/Canon Webcam Utility combination. 

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

If your HDMI out is not clean, then yes you have an issue.  But otherwise, don't be afraid of capture cards (or dongles).  I routinely webcam my R5 using an HDMI capture dongle which cost 21 pounds, and just plugs into a USB port.  It's USB C, but I use an adapter (five pounds) and plug it into a USB A port.  Then it streams through OBS.

Thanks, I have seen in videos that the capture cards will not generate a clean HDMI from my original version M50 so I am trying to use the Webcam Utility as the pathway.  This scheme works, just not with all video capture software.  Since my original post, I have finally taken the plunge with OBS, and so far, it seems to be very useful and will capture my video and audio.  My previous hesitation was not because I was daunted by such a powerful tool (I am pretty computer-literate) but was trying to promote systems I could convince my colleagues were easily usable.  I think avoiding OBS might have been a mistake (-: 

The capture card will pass through whatever is on the HDMI.  You can tell whether the camera's HDMI output is clean or not by just plugging it into a TV or monitor.

As for OBS, I'm a recent user too, and yes, it does seem pretty cool -- specially for the price.  Good luck!

Yeah, OBS is an incredibly powerful tool. It should do what you want. I am still using and loving ECAMM though. I even use it with the original M50 as my WebCam for zoom meetings!

As far as your colleagues go, they might find it a lot easier to use. It definitely has less of a learning curve than OBS. But if they are somewhat tech savvy and you’re willing to teach them it should work out.

Announcements