cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image problems with my 6D...diagonal line

Lindy
Apprentice

Hello, my name is Lindy and I'm new to this forum. I've been having a problem with my Canon 6D which results in some of my images appearing with a dark diagonal line across the upper left hand corner. I've seen this problem with both my 100mm L lens and my 16-35mm lens. Has anyone had this problem before or have any idea of what may be wrong?

Thanks!!6D yard Sierra Club SLN Parsons 074.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Hi Lindy.  You've got a bit of "dust" on your sensor (only in your case it looks like a tiny hair).  

It's easily fixed.

See page 279 of your owner's manual which describges how to clean the sensor.  

I do, however, recommend that before doing an automatic cleaning cycle, you remove the lens and point it at the ground -- that way this little hair has someplace to go when it falls... other than finding itself another location inside your camera.

After cleaning, poing the camera a plain white wall (or ceiling) and snap a photo (it doesn't even have to be in focus).  The dust shows up better at high f-stops (it'll be fuzzier at low f-stops).

Sometimes automatic cleaning is not enough and you have to do something further.  If that's the case, then see page 283 for "manual sensor cleaning".  This simply causes the camera to power down the sensor, but open the shutter (and hold it open) so that you can inspect and clean it.  If you look inside, what you're REALLY seeing are the two filters in front of the sensor.  The front filter is the one that vibrates (using a piezoelectric effect) to "shake" dust loose.  

I use a variety of techniques... the simplest and safest is to use a simple hand-squeeze (bulb) blower such as a Giottos Rocket Blower.  I recommend you not use cans of compressed air because the liquid propellant in the cans can spray out if the can is either shaken or not held perfectly level and that leaves a residue on the filter (and the only way to get that off is to wet-clean the filter).  Even air-compressors spray water and oil.  A hand-squeezed blower is the safest option.

If that doesn't work, I use an extremely soft small paintbrush.  They actually do make brushes that plug in to release any static charge so that if something is sticking because of static cling it will hopefully release.

If that doesn't work, I use a sensor scope to inspect my sensor and get a better understanding of why it still wont come free (because generally it would have by now) and then wet-clean the sensor using Photographic Solutions brand "Sensor Swabs" and "Eclipse" cleaning solution.  The solution is nearly pure methenol which means it evaporates very quickly and leaves no residue behind.

My guess is a simple manual cleaning (with camera pointing at the ground) -or- a hand-squeezed blower will likely do the trick.  If you do resort to a brush, give that brush a couple of good solid whacks on the edge of a desk or table to throw off any dust that could be on the brush -- as you don't want to add dust on to the sensor as you are trying to brush that hair away.

Most "real" camera stores (stores in business primarily to sell and service camera gear -- not big box stores that also happen to sell cameras) offer sensor cleaning, but usually there's a charge associated with that.  It's fairly easy to learn to clean the sensor (which is why Canon has a section in the owner's manual) and it's something photographers have to do.... just occasionally.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

Yep, that's definitely a hair on the sensor. It will be in every photo you take, until it's removed. It might be sort of hidden by image detail in some cases, but it's still there.

If the "self cleaning" doesn't do the trick, I'd recommend setting the camera in manual sensor cleaning mode and just using the bulb blower. That will usually take care of slightly stubborn items.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to decide whether to do a "wet cleaning" yourself, or have it done by someone experienced. You'll have to be the judge, whether you feel comfortable doing it yourself. There are some risks doing a wet cleaning, so follow the links below and read up about it, before tackling it yourself. It might be worth spending a few bucks to have it done, but also pays to know how to do it yourself in an emergency.

Aside from a puff of air from a bulb blower, the first cleaning of a camera sensor (I'm assuming none has ever been done on your camera) always has to be a "wet cleaning". This is because one that's never been cleaned before always has some tiny specks of lubricating oil on the sensor (okay, actually on the filter in front of the sensor).  This is probably thrown off initially from the new shutter when it's operating. It usually only happens initially... the first few hundred or thousand images. But sometimes it can happen with some regularity. Some camrea models are better than others, about this. But it's so common most professional camera repair techs simply assume a new camera will always need wet cleaning initially.

Do not use a brush or anything other than wet cleaning for the first "touch" cleaning, without first doing or having a wet cleaning done. If you do, you'll just smear the oil and contaminate the cleaning tool being used. After it's been wet cleaned, then it should be okay to use various dry methods such as a brush for future cleanings. Another handy tool is a "Speck Grabber". With one of those you can pinpoint and remove a single speck of dust or hair. You'll likely need a magnifying  loupe with a light built in, though, to see the speck.

Lots more info can be found at www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com This site is maintained by professional camera repairers who also offer many of the best products for the purpose. Another very good info resource is http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=Tutorials.  Not sure if Canon will allow these links to stand, per forum policy. I'm including them primarily for information about sensor cleaning, though both also sell products and supplies for the purpose.

Oh, and if the bulb blower doesn't work and you go looking to clean it yourself, that speck is in the upper LH corner of your image will actually be found in the lower, RH corner of your camera's sensor. This is because images are backwards and upside down, as proctected by the lens onto the sensor... The image orienation is corrected by the mirrors and pentaprism in your camera, to render the image right side up and correct right to left in the viewfinder.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Hi Lindy.  You've got a bit of "dust" on your sensor (only in your case it looks like a tiny hair).  

It's easily fixed.

See page 279 of your owner's manual which describges how to clean the sensor.  

I do, however, recommend that before doing an automatic cleaning cycle, you remove the lens and point it at the ground -- that way this little hair has someplace to go when it falls... other than finding itself another location inside your camera.

After cleaning, poing the camera a plain white wall (or ceiling) and snap a photo (it doesn't even have to be in focus).  The dust shows up better at high f-stops (it'll be fuzzier at low f-stops).

Sometimes automatic cleaning is not enough and you have to do something further.  If that's the case, then see page 283 for "manual sensor cleaning".  This simply causes the camera to power down the sensor, but open the shutter (and hold it open) so that you can inspect and clean it.  If you look inside, what you're REALLY seeing are the two filters in front of the sensor.  The front filter is the one that vibrates (using a piezoelectric effect) to "shake" dust loose.  

I use a variety of techniques... the simplest and safest is to use a simple hand-squeeze (bulb) blower such as a Giottos Rocket Blower.  I recommend you not use cans of compressed air because the liquid propellant in the cans can spray out if the can is either shaken or not held perfectly level and that leaves a residue on the filter (and the only way to get that off is to wet-clean the filter).  Even air-compressors spray water and oil.  A hand-squeezed blower is the safest option.

If that doesn't work, I use an extremely soft small paintbrush.  They actually do make brushes that plug in to release any static charge so that if something is sticking because of static cling it will hopefully release.

If that doesn't work, I use a sensor scope to inspect my sensor and get a better understanding of why it still wont come free (because generally it would have by now) and then wet-clean the sensor using Photographic Solutions brand "Sensor Swabs" and "Eclipse" cleaning solution.  The solution is nearly pure methenol which means it evaporates very quickly and leaves no residue behind.

My guess is a simple manual cleaning (with camera pointing at the ground) -or- a hand-squeezed blower will likely do the trick.  If you do resort to a brush, give that brush a couple of good solid whacks on the edge of a desk or table to throw off any dust that could be on the brush -- as you don't want to add dust on to the sensor as you are trying to brush that hair away.

Most "real" camera stores (stores in business primarily to sell and service camera gear -- not big box stores that also happen to sell cameras) offer sensor cleaning, but usually there's a charge associated with that.  It's fairly easy to learn to clean the sensor (which is why Canon has a section in the owner's manual) and it's something photographers have to do.... just occasionally.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks so much for your thorough reply. I do have a bulb blower and a senosr cleaning kit with swabs and solution so I'll give those things a try, starting with the easiest first. And if that doesn't work, I will do some serious thinking about cleaning the sensor and enlist the help of someone I know who is better at this sort of thing. Again, thanks so much for your prompt response and helpful post!

Yep, that's definitely a hair on the sensor. It will be in every photo you take, until it's removed. It might be sort of hidden by image detail in some cases, but it's still there.

If the "self cleaning" doesn't do the trick, I'd recommend setting the camera in manual sensor cleaning mode and just using the bulb blower. That will usually take care of slightly stubborn items.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to decide whether to do a "wet cleaning" yourself, or have it done by someone experienced. You'll have to be the judge, whether you feel comfortable doing it yourself. There are some risks doing a wet cleaning, so follow the links below and read up about it, before tackling it yourself. It might be worth spending a few bucks to have it done, but also pays to know how to do it yourself in an emergency.

Aside from a puff of air from a bulb blower, the first cleaning of a camera sensor (I'm assuming none has ever been done on your camera) always has to be a "wet cleaning". This is because one that's never been cleaned before always has some tiny specks of lubricating oil on the sensor (okay, actually on the filter in front of the sensor).  This is probably thrown off initially from the new shutter when it's operating. It usually only happens initially... the first few hundred or thousand images. But sometimes it can happen with some regularity. Some camrea models are better than others, about this. But it's so common most professional camera repair techs simply assume a new camera will always need wet cleaning initially.

Do not use a brush or anything other than wet cleaning for the first "touch" cleaning, without first doing or having a wet cleaning done. If you do, you'll just smear the oil and contaminate the cleaning tool being used. After it's been wet cleaned, then it should be okay to use various dry methods such as a brush for future cleanings. Another handy tool is a "Speck Grabber". With one of those you can pinpoint and remove a single speck of dust or hair. You'll likely need a magnifying  loupe with a light built in, though, to see the speck.

Lots more info can be found at www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com This site is maintained by professional camera repairers who also offer many of the best products for the purpose. Another very good info resource is http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=Tutorials.  Not sure if Canon will allow these links to stand, per forum policy. I'm including them primarily for information about sensor cleaning, though both also sell products and supplies for the purpose.

Oh, and if the bulb blower doesn't work and you go looking to clean it yourself, that speck is in the upper LH corner of your image will actually be found in the lower, RH corner of your camera's sensor. This is because images are backwards and upside down, as proctected by the lens onto the sensor... The image orienation is corrected by the mirrors and pentaprism in your camera, to render the image right side up and correct right to left in the viewfinder.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Alan,

Thanks so  much for your valuble reply! I will do the least invasive steps first, as I am hesitant to clean the sensor myself. So if I still need to clean the sensor I will seek some help! 

Lynn

knowitall55
Apprentice

I had a similar problem with my 6D. The diagonal line was  in about 20% of my pictures. The intensity varied.

I used the manual cleaning mode in the camera menu in order to lock up the mirror, and look for the problem.

There was  a 1 inch hair in the mirror housing ! It was not touching the sensor filter, so I was able to carefully removed it with a pair of tweezers. Problem solved.

Announcements