cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am looking for a thorough tutorial which discusses night shooting with the EOS T3i.

thomaskemper
Contributor

Does anybody know of such a beast.  A video tutorial would be ideal.  The night-portrait setting is just not doing it for me, and I plan to make a career out of night-shots.

Any help?

Thanks.

Thomas Kemper

PS I am new to the forum.  I am glad to be here!

3 REPLIES 3

amfoto1
Authority

Get a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

Once you read and understand that thoroughly you'll be better able to deal with tricky exposure situations with virtually any camera.

The T3i is like any other camera, essentially. So you really don't need something specific to the T3i, but should look for books about night photography in general.

Way, way too much info to try to cover here or in online videos.

Are you planning to use lighting equipment? There are 4 year college programs about lighting. It's another huge subject. One good book I recall, with most of its emphasis on using portable flash, was written by Susan McCartney. You might look for a copy of that, too.  

You'll need to deal with long exposures, high ISOs and noise that come with those, so there will be some things specific to the camera and the softwares you use to post-process images. But those are fine details along the way. Learn the generalities, first.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

In addition, you could actually go out and shoot!  Shoot a lot, since we don't have film as an expense, there is no reason not to.  Try things different things.  Keep track and watch what you are doing as doing is the best teacher.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks alot.  I did find a really basic tutorial here: http://http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/night-photography.htm for future reference.

Thanks again.

Thomas

Announcements