cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How reliable is the R7 with its weather sealing?

mufas12
Apprentice
I see a lot of semi and professionals using the canon mirrorless in harsh conditions especially wildlife photographers. Of course they use much more expensive gear but anyways they expose their cameras to snow and rain. I will move to a place that has a lot of rain, snow and quick weather changes which made me rethink if my fuji gear is durable enough for this...I heard to much mixed reviews about the weather resistance of them. On of my choices would be the R7 with the adapter and the EF 300mm f4. Is it capable of resisting rain (not just drops) and snow falling? With my 750D back then I could do this without any problem even without weather sealing but I don't know how the bodies of the R series are. Or should I stick in this case better to a Olympus system due to the IP-rating?
6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite

Whether sealing is only mentioned on Canon's product pages for the EOS R5 and EOS R3.

But even so, they are not waterproof.  You can still damage any whether-sealed camera if not careful.

Note also that lenses would also need to be weather sealed (not all are) in order to add addtional protection.   Not sure if the RF lenses do this, but some EF lenses (e.g. EF 50mm f/1.2) required the usage of a front screw-on filter to complete the weather sealing (i.e. without it, the front of the lens would not be weather sealed).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

As Lens Rentals' says, weather sealing is really a marketing term.

Pros either have insurance, or can replace gear if it gets damaged.

For example, I don't think any Canon is rated to work below freezing.

Marketing has settled on the term “dust and moisture sealed”, which I understand to mean something less than fully weather sealed.    

A6287005-2148-49B8-881D-D9AAD0A7BCBC.jpeg

Use protective covering in wet weather.  Even professional sports photographers using “weather sealed” cover their gear with rain covers to protect against moisture.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I have seen claims that the R7 is weather sealed, but if it is it's minimal.  As Rick has said, and I agree, the body is only half the issue.  The lenses have to be sealed as well to complete the effect, especially as the sensor does not have an automatic shielding of the sensor when not exposing for an image.   Lenses that extend a lot have a bellows effect, sucking in dust and moisture that can find its way into the lens and onto the sensor.  I don't rely on it.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Take heed and do what you can to protect your gear from dust and moisture.  The key word is "resistant".  Not "proof".  I always do my best to err on the side of caution. Canon's weather sealed body's and lenses can do pretty well in bad weather, but sealing is not an excuse for carelessness...  Either are CarePaks, but I recommend them for life's unexpected curve balls.

Bottom line.  Use your camera and lenses.  Enjoy them, but practice good judgment.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

FWIW, my wife gave me a "raincoat" for my camera, JIC the weather was bad during a photo shoot.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
click here to view the gallery
Announcements