cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot and dead pixels

fernandogro
Apprentice

Hello,

I got my canon eos R just 7 months ago. I just noticed in some photos some dead pixels. Then when lookging through  the viewfinder if I don't remove the lens cover, I can see many dead pixels and also near to the corners I see many blue pixels that are contantly turning on and off. I took a photo without removen the lens cover to appreciate all the issues. The blue dots that I see in the viewfinder and screen don't appear in the photos. But in the photo I can see many dead and hot pixels.  Is this issue cover by warranty?

_82A1836.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Interesting.  I know that for any LCD/OLED display or viewfinder, you may indeed have dead/stuck pixels.  User manuals will outline this as normal.  The higher resolution of these displays, the more you may see.  But the manuals also state that this will not affect the actual captured photos or footage.

What I do see in your photo (tip to readers of this thread: ensure you view in at least 100%), is indeed numerous single pixel colored dots.  I didn't count, but seems to be well over 20.   Because this is on a captured photo, I would imagine the sensor is bad? So definitely seek out service.  That really should be covered by warranty as that's the most important part of the unit.

What will be interesting is that if this is indeed found to be a bad sensor, then once replaced, it may solve the issue with the dead pixels also in the EVF/screen.  But, as stated above, EVFs/screens can have their own dead pixels.  But the ratio should be very low.  Personally I only see them say with an average of 1 bad pixel per around 2 million pixels.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Interesting.  I know that for any LCD/OLED display or viewfinder, you may indeed have dead/stuck pixels.  User manuals will outline this as normal.  The higher resolution of these displays, the more you may see.  But the manuals also state that this will not affect the actual captured photos or footage.

What I do see in your photo (tip to readers of this thread: ensure you view in at least 100%), is indeed numerous single pixel colored dots.  I didn't count, but seems to be well over 20.   Because this is on a captured photo, I would imagine the sensor is bad? So definitely seek out service.  That really should be covered by warranty as that's the most important part of the unit.

What will be interesting is that if this is indeed found to be a bad sensor, then once replaced, it may solve the issue with the dead pixels also in the EVF/screen.  But, as stated above, EVFs/screens can have their own dead pixels.  But the ratio should be very low.  Personally I only see them say with an average of 1 bad pixel per around 2 million pixels.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

docusync
Enthusiast

Looking at your EXIF - it's a 30 second exposure under 28C ambient temperature. The sensor is getting hot and it's possible to get some noise. If you hold it for another a minute or two - you'll see even more noise. Just google "long exposure noise" and you'll see a lot of examples.

Peter
Authority
Authority
Hot pixels are normal and you will find them in all camera sensors, more or less. Raw converters remove hot pixels (not DPP4 yet).

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is this issue cover by warranty?"

Possibly.  But you should send it in for evaluation.  Canon will determine whether it is within spec or not. Tell them what you see, no one here can tell you if it is right or not. Only Canon can do that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements