cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eliminate aperture noise when using EF lenses on R6 Mark ii?

JWP
Apprentice

Hey there,

I shoot on film sets and need my gear to be totally silent when taking photos during a scene.  I just got the R6 Mark ii and have discovered that while the camera shutter is totally silent, the only way to keep EF lenses silent is to shoot with the aperture wide open.  If not, you can hear the aperture blades close and reopen.  I understand the aperture blades stay open during focusing, but the sound doesn't occur when using an RF lens?  Is it impossible to get around the sound of the blades closing at higher raptures when the shutter is fired with an EF lens?

Thanks for your time!

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

You must be really close to the sound recording equipment if that is significant.  Most noise is associated with the mirror raising, the shutter opening and closing, and the mirror flipping down again.   Are you sure this is not the case?

Let's start off with learning what lenses you are using.
If this is a professional situation, then obtain (rent or borrow) some RF glass of equivalent focal lengths and try them out.   I have never heard significant noise from aperture shutter blades myself.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for your reply!  The sound only occurs when I'm using my EF 35mm 1.4, 50mm 1.2, 85mm 1.2 & 70-200mm 2.8 with a stopped down aperture.  If I shoot wide open with my EF lenses or use my RF lens (24-105 f4-7.1), there is not a single sound when the shutter fires.  If I shoot at 1.4 on my 35mm, no sound, if I shoot at 1.6 on my 35mm, the little clicking sound appears.  

It's really only an issue when I'm stuck right under the boom guy (which happens more than I like) during a scene and I need a wider depth of field to keep multiple actors in focus, otherwise I'd just shoot wide open and avoid the sound entirely. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I point this out all the time.  Just because a lens is great for photography does not mean it will also be great for videography.  I know exactly what you mean by noisy apertures.  

Most of the Canon older USM lenses in the EF lineup have remarkably loud apertures.  Most people never notice it because the mirror slap usually drowns it out.  But the mirror is not moving when you are capturing video, just AF motors and aperture blades.

As pointed out by Trevor, there is little you can do about reducing aperture noise besides moving your audio pickups away from the lenses and cameras.  Using directional microphones is what I would recommend, instead of omnidirectional microphones, like you have on the front of cameras.

Many of the Canon EF mount USM lenses have loud apertures because the aperture does not change smoothly.  Instead, it “steps” from one position to the next in a manner similar to how an aperture ring has click stops for each setting.  The EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is one of the best examples of this “bad behavior.”

A handful of the EF mount USM lenses do have smooth apertures.  The EF 35mm f/2 USM is an excellent for capturing video.  Not only are aperture changes continuous and smooth, the lens is fairly quiet about it.

I recommend using fully manual lenses.  Or, test or rent any future lenses befor you buy them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I think he is experiencing this issue when shooting stills.  Both of you have presented strong point in regards to noise and the ability of a boom mic to pick it up.  I don't see any way around it except to not have the boom mic overhead when shooting.  Some lenses are just noisier than others.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@JWP wrote:

Hey there,

I shoot on film sets and need my gear to be totally silent when taking photos during a scene.  I just got the R6 Mark ii and have discovered that while the camera shutter is totally silent, the only way to keep EF lenses silent is to shoot with the aperture wide open.  If not, you can hear the aperture blades close and reopen.  I understand the aperture blades stay open during focusing, but the sound doesn't occur when using an RF lens?  Is it impossible to get around the sound of the blades closing at higher raptures when the shutter is fired with an EF lens?

Thanks for your time!

What specific lenses are you currently using that have this issue?  The “STM” zoom lenses tend to be fairly quiet.  They were originally designed for shooting video on consumer DSLRs.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements