cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS SL2 "the focus beep"

RonO1953
Apprentice

I have purchased a new Canon EOS SL2 camera.  When I press the shutter 1/2 way I get the Focal points and some points  light up and sometimes I get a faint beep.  Other times the beep is more of a chripping sound, and it is random as to a beep or chrip.  I called Canon and talked to a Rep. and they said to send it in.

Is this normal for the SL2 ( low sounding beep/chripping)?  I hate to send in the camera for nothing, anybody with any knowledge on this.  Focusing is working great.

Thanks

RonO 

3 REPLIES 3

diverhank
Authority

@RonO1953wrote:

I have purchased a new Canon EOS SL2 camera.  When I press the shutter 1/2 way I get the Focal points and some points  light up and sometimes I get a faint beep.  Other times the beep is more of a chripping sound, and it is random as to a beep or chrip.  I called Canon and talked to a Rep. and they said to send it in.

Is this normal for the SL2 ( low sounding beep/chripping)?  I hate to send in the camera for nothing, anybody with any knowledge on this.  Focusing is working great.

Thanks

RonO 

I'm assuming you're shooting using the Green Square with the A+?  What you're seeing is most likely normal.  For non-moving object, when focus is achieved, a round circle shows up on the viewfinder and the camera gives a strong beep.  However, if the object is moving, the camera switches to AI Servo mode to track the subject.  The round circle does not light up and softer beeps will continually be sounded which may sound like chirping to you.  Page 73 and 74 of the manual talks about this.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Basic mode or creative mode doesn't matter, happens in any mode.  I'm focusing on a still subject. It beeps or chrips it random.  You said it gives a loud beep.  I can barely heard the beep when it locks.  The beeps from changing the setting from one screen to the next is loud.

Thanks 

RonO 

@RonO1953wrote:

Basic mode or creative mode doesn't matter, happens in any mode.  I'm focusing on a still subject. It beeps or chrips it random.  You said it gives a loud beep.  I can barely heard the beep when it locks.  The beeps from changing the setting from one screen to the next is loud.

Thanks 

RonO 

Loud is relative :).  Bottom line is when it's quiet, you can hear it clearly. To be that's loud versus soft and faint.  In Av, Tv and M mode, the beeping shouldn't switch randomly since you have to switch from normal focus mode to AI Focus or AI Servo.  You should check and see what focus mode your camera is set to.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements