cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II Broadcast interference causing lines in photos?

Livestills
Apprentice

Folks,

When shooting concerts that are broadcasting from the stage to big screens at the venue (or possibly to remote capture fro internet viewing), I keep winding up with lines running through my photos, much the way one would if they took a photo of the big screen itself.  Shooting with an R6 Mark II and the problem occurs irrespective of lens attached. Based on my assumption that the broadcasting of the image to the big screen is the likely cause, I have tried to shut off all remote connections on the camera but the proble6M8A8753 copy.jpg6M8A8772 copy.jpgm persists. Ideas what may cause this or how to remedy the situation?

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Try enabling the anti-flicker settings.  The giant screen could be acting like a giant light source.

You might also try reducing your shutter speeds. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for both the prompt and informative reply. Will give it a try at the next show!

BTW, happens with my R6 but not my 5D Mark IV. Different bluetooth and NFC in each body? 

Comm settings shouldn’t matter. This seems to be all about exposure settings and shooting conditions. 

“ BTW, happens with my R6 but not my 5D Mark IV. Different bluetooth and NFC in each body? “

What is the shutter mode setting in the R6?

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Yes, the banding you are observing is very likely caused by interference patterns between the frequencies of the screen projection system and your camera's shutter.  As my respected colleague Waddizzle has noted there is a feature called Ant-Flicker but if that does not work , try changing your shutter speeds to a lower value.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks, Trevor. Appreciate the welcome and the validation of the prior response.

Rotate the body to landscape and it will be horizontal banding. Are you using the full electronic shutter?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Agree with the above (Trevor and Waddizzle). On my R5 C this feature is called clear scan.  However, it only applies to video mode and was introduced in v1.0.5.1.  Although it states for CRT monitors (in the manual), I saw it demonstrated on a video screen at a live performance.   For stills I'd be in the same boat.  ☹️

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements