cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Mark II Green Screen comes up when recording videos

Jmantn
Apprentice

I’ve had this camera since release and I’ve been recording 8K RAW 23.98 with RAW compression to an OWC 2TB CFExpress card which was formatted by the camera.  

I’ve noticed four times out of maybe 20 when recording video during the recording the EVF and screen will turn off entirely and or there will be green all over the screen to the point you can’t see anything else.   Looks like green lines sort of.   

when this happens the video is lost and to fix I have to completely turn off the camera, give it as couple of seconds and turn it back on and I can start a new recording.   Whatever was being recorded when the screen turns to green lines is lost.   

I seen a post on Reddit regarding this and people were hoping it’s a firmware issue.  

Does anyone know if it’s possibly a firmware issue vs a hardware issue or know what’s causing this?

I do not have any other cards to try with and the OWC card was purchased alongside the Canon R5 Mark II so both are brand new.  

I’m coming from an EOS R so I haven’t seen this before.  

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thats quite a memory card you've got there. 😎 The manual states you are good up to 2 TB and my R5 C recently got an update allowing 2TB cards to be used as well.  I suspect the R5mkII comes with this support at release.  There is no new FW at the moment.  I am more likely to suspect the card, an attached accessory or lens maybe?

Canon : Product Manual : EOS R5 Mark II : Compatible Cards (start.canon) (Expand the black caution section)

Things I would try.

Different card(s)

Testing with 1-3 lenses (native RF glass would be best)

Settings reset, then testing with minimal changes

If you can get to a point where the behavior is 100% reproduceable, I'd contact support.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

It looks like this is going to be something Canon will need to address.  Still gathering information, but the behavior is out there.  this is 4k 24p FINE mode

shadowsports_0-1725810078555.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements