cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M200 - Digital Lens Optimization (DLO) profiles and shooting in RAW

alceryes
Apprentice

EOS M200

Firstly, do DLO profiles change the photo when shooting and doing post-process work on RAW image files in software like Darktable, Lightroom, etc.? Secondly, if they don't change the photo, do DLO profiles add more data to the RAW file for better options in post-process softwares?

TIA!

4 REPLIES 4

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

@alceryes wrote:

EOS M200

Firstly, do DLO profiles change the photo when shooting and doing post-process work on RAW image files in software like Darktable, Lightroom, etc.? Secondly, if they don't change the photo, do DLO profiles add more data to the RAW file for better options in post-process softwares?

TIA!

I do not have the same camera but from the manual EOS M200 does DLO in camera. I hope some of this might be helpful.

If your camera has DLO enabled in the menus, that will slow down the camera. The DLO only applies to the JPG files produced in camera and not to the raw CR3 file. The lens information necessary to do DLO will be added to the raw file if the camera and lens are recent enough. Some lenses will send this information to the camera. For some older lenses it may be necessary to download the lens information and install it in the camera. The Canon DPP software will do DLO for some cameras and lenses when editing the raw file even if the camera did not support DLO in camera. The lens information will not cause a significant increase in CR3 file size.

Rawtherapee capture sharpening is similar to DLO for removal of small aperture diffraction blur. I have not used darktable recently and it has been many years since I have used any Adobe products.

I do not expect that enabling DLO in the camera will change what is recorded in the CR3 file, but some of the "picture styles" might.  Canon DPP will use the picture style information, but so far as I know other software will not. It seems to me that it might be possible to use the dual pixel data in camera to create a raw file in more than one way and on my camera picture style seems to me to influence that, but I do not know whether this actually happens and others tell me it does not.

I usually use "Standard" picture style in camera to get a predictable raw file.

More is at: https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/article/eng/digital-lens-optimizer-taking-image-quality-to-greater-h...

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

DLO is lens correction for third party lenses. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

DLO is lens correction for third party lenses. 

Canon "digital lens optimizer" (DLO) will not work with most 3rd party lenses. The lens distortion correction is separate from DLO. Most software can use a lens profile for distortion correction and chromatic aberration correction. Several software programs can use a Richardson/Lucy deconvolution or something similar to do small aperture diffraction correction.

Canon DLO appears to me to go beyond small aperture diffraction correction. The lens itself provides information to the camera to be used for DLO. Or, lens information may be downloaded in Canon DPP software.

https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/article/eng/digital-lens-optimizer-taking-image-quality-to-greater-h...

https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/reg/article/eng/camera-faq-what-does-in-camera-lens-aberration-corre...

Lensfun is used in many software programs and has good support for third party lenses: https://lensfun.github.io/

“ Canon "digital lens optimizer" (DLO) will not work with most 3rd party lenses. The lens distortion correction is separate from DLO “

You are correct.  Lens correction are only available for Canon lenses. With third party lenses you can try to use DLO and hope for the best. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements