cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D LCD View Adjustments

honeytapia
Apprentice

On my EOS 6D I can use live view on the lcd to view adjustments I make to my settings to get the best photo before I shoot. I picked up a second hand 7D and although the lcd appears to work, all I see is exaclty what I would see looking through the viewfinder. I cannot see the shot changing as I adjust my settings.

Should this work the same as it does on my 6D and is there a specific setting that may I may need to adjust to access this option?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you bought a used camera, then one of the first things you should do is to reset the camera back to factory defaults.  You want to begin using the camera with the settings in a known state.  The main reset function appears in the menu system when the camera is set to one of the Creative shooting modes on the top dial: oe.e.;, P, Tv, Av, or M.

This full reset of the camera may take a few minutes to complete, as tthere are a number of sub-menus that have their own reset function.  One good example of these sub-menu is the Custom Controls button programming.  Go through the entire manu system.  If a manu item opens up to its' own sub-menu system, then that menu item probably has its' own reset function.  There are several menu items like this.  Another example is the copyright settings, or the AFMA adjustments.

It is not clear to me what it is that you are looking for, and I suspect that you may have a typo in your initial post.  

"...all I see is what I would see looking through the viewfinder. I cannot see the shot changing as I adjust my settings...."

You should always be able to see exposure changes as you look through the viewfinder.  

It is possible to see these changes dynamically on the rear LED display, too.  This is a functionality that seems unique to most Canon camera bodies.  It is tied to the functionality of blanking the rear LCD when the Shutter Button is pressed.  There is a menu item that controls whether or not the rear display is blanked, or turned off, when the Shutter is pressed.  

You want to disable blanking the rear display.  Next, you want to press [INFO] until the exposure settings are displayed.  This screen is similar to the Quick Menu display that you see when you press the [Q] button.  At this point, you shold be all set.

I frequently use this functionality, instead of the top LCD screen, when shooting from a tripod.  It comes in very handy when you are shooting at night!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

One thing you will definitely want to do it update the camaera's FW to v2.0.6 if not already done.

Support | DSLR | EOS 7D | Canon USA

I would also consider a full setings reset since the camera is not performing as you expect.

Now review page 131 "Live View Shooting"...

Support | DSLR | EOS 7D | Canon USA

Pressing the INFO button might help, but a reset should get you going.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you bought a used camera, then one of the first things you should do is to reset the camera back to factory defaults.  You want to begin using the camera with the settings in a known state.  The main reset function appears in the menu system when the camera is set to one of the Creative shooting modes on the top dial: oe.e.;, P, Tv, Av, or M.

This full reset of the camera may take a few minutes to complete, as tthere are a number of sub-menus that have their own reset function.  One good example of these sub-menu is the Custom Controls button programming.  Go through the entire manu system.  If a manu item opens up to its' own sub-menu system, then that menu item probably has its' own reset function.  There are several menu items like this.  Another example is the copyright settings, or the AFMA adjustments.

It is not clear to me what it is that you are looking for, and I suspect that you may have a typo in your initial post.  

"...all I see is what I would see looking through the viewfinder. I cannot see the shot changing as I adjust my settings...."

You should always be able to see exposure changes as you look through the viewfinder.  

It is possible to see these changes dynamically on the rear LED display, too.  This is a functionality that seems unique to most Canon camera bodies.  It is tied to the functionality of blanking the rear LCD when the Shutter Button is pressed.  There is a menu item that controls whether or not the rear display is blanked, or turned off, when the Shutter is pressed.  

You want to disable blanking the rear display.  Next, you want to press [INFO] until the exposure settings are displayed.  This screen is similar to the Quick Menu display that you see when you press the [Q] button.  At this point, you shold be all set.

I frequently use this functionality, instead of the top LCD screen, when shooting from a tripod.  It comes in very handy when you are shooting at night!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle, thank you so much for your help. I had already done all the resets but that was not the issue.

You have helped me find my answer so Yay!! I just had to follow your instructions to turn off blanking the screen. Since I do mostly real estate photography and every shot is from a tripod I really need to see the affect of my adjustments on that screen prior to shooting.

Thank you so much, have a great holiday!!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Search both manuals for "Exposure Sim"

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements