Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decided on getting the Canon 200D! Some questions

danaiveys29
Apprentice

Hey all.

So I'm certain I'm buying the kit lens.

However because B Roll is my favourite thing ever I think I need an IS Lens. What can others recommend and also any tips for this too?

I know Peter McKinnon made a video and mentioned Premiere includes an option to stabilise but having an IS lens is way better.

From what I've seen they're massive very white lens like pirate telescopes in movies. Is that the nature of them?

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

No, most EF/EF-S lenses have IS. A good substitute for the kit lens with IS is the EF-S 18-135.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Most NLE (non-linear editors) will offer stabilization to be perfomed in post, but I never like to rely on that.  Also, it will ultimately crop (sometimes a lot) of the footage.  And that can lead to inconsitent framing amongst multiple clips.

Note though that IBIS (in-body image stabilization) will often do the same; cropping in.

I honestly don't know if lens IS results in cropping as well?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

No, lens IS simply moves the image circle around. It has to be designed such that the image circle is large enough to handle the shift. The purposely place the IS elements in the light path that allows for the least amount of shift.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements