cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crop Censor Setting Also Queastion About Exchanging EF 100-400 L Series For The Canon RF 100-500mm

Far-Out-Dude
Rising Star
Rising Star

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how I should set the crop in camera (R5 Mark ii) for the following lenses?

Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens

Canon EF-S 18 55 macro 0.25m 0.8ft

Oh I guess the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM as well please.

I also am thinking about exchanging my Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens for the Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L IS USM Lens, I was wondering how the lenses compare? Thank you for your time.

1 REPLY 1

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi!  I hope you are doing OK.

If you mean how do your put the R5II into crop mode,  In the red section of the menu, On the first page:

Tronhard_0-1729492838459.png

Check out the Advance User Guide: P`169:  c017.pdf

Note this is simply cropping the image that will be recorded, it's effect is precisely the same as if it was cropped in post processing mode with a resultant reduction in MPs capacity.  The main benefit of this is to allow you to crop as you shoot by reducing the Field of View.

I have frequently posted an article on Equivalence: how sensor size changes the field of view and other characteristic.  I enclose the link to the article for your convenience:
Equivalence 

As regards the following lenses:
EF-S 18-55 is not really a macro lens and as a kit lens designed for APS-C sensors, would be a good candidate to consider replacing with a FF RF lens, such as one of the 24-105 variants.  That would work well with either the EF 100-400 or RF 100-500 lenses to give you an unbroken focal range from wide to super telephoto.

The EF100-400II is an excellent lens and will work absolutely fine with the R5II either in crop of FF modes, you just need one of the EF-RF Canon adapters.

The RF 100-500L is also a fabulous optic and of course is specifically designed for the R systems. Apart from the extra 100mm of reach, it also has dual nano-USM motors that make its focusing blazing fast and should be slightly easier to gain and track focus.  Really, it depends on what you are going to shoot.

The EF 70-300 is a good lens and should work fine with the R5II - certainly, I would give it a go. Again, it has a nano-USM motor to make its focus fast.

As to exchanging the two, I did post several images in the Gallery > Share Your Photos section showing results from shooting wildlife with the EF100-400 and RF 100-500, and I also did a comparison of the RF 200-800 against the RF 100-500 in 1.6 crop mode.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements