Cracks in photo

arnold12
Contributor

Does anyone know what caused the cracks in the upper right part of this photo. The 2005 Digital Rebel camera hasn't been dropped or damaged. I haven't checked the sensor yet. The cracks are only visible at f stops above 8.Crack.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

cicopo
Elite

I suspect you need to clean your sensor & maybe the mirror box area. It could also be something on the back of the lens. Get a magnifying glass & in good light do an inspection. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You have dirt or dust in side the camera.  it needs to be cleaned and done by a person that knows how to do it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Peter
Authority
Authority
Fungus on the sensor?

I'm thinking fungus too.  It looks like you may have a fungus growing on the "sensor".  Note that there are actually a couple of filters in front of the sensor... the UV/IR cut filter as well as the "low pass" filter.

If it is fungus, it is HOPEFULLY on the outermost filter surface and not on the inside.  If this is the case then you can likely clean it using the "wet" cleaning method.

I use a cleaning solution called "Eclipse" made by Photographic Solutions, Inc.  You can find it at most real camera stores (e.g. stores in business primarily to sell cameras and other gear to photographers... not "big box" stores that happen to sell camerass.)    You can also order it online (Amazon, B&H Photo, Adorama, etc. will all have it.)

Eclispe is nearly pure methanol -- so it evaporates very quickly and it leaves no residue.  

To clean ... you also need cleaning swabs.  Photographic Solutions makes those too and they call them "Sensor Swabs".  It's a plastic paddle with a width that matches the width of your sensor (along the "short" edge).  For an APS-C camera, you wan tthe "Type 2" size.  It's covered in a lint-free cloth.  

(NOTE:  They also sell something called "Sensor Swabs Plus" - which is basically the sensor swab pre-moistened with the Eclispe solution.  So it's "all in one" making them more convenient to leave a few in a camera bag for travel purposes.  But at home I prefer the seperate swab & solution so I can control how much solution I need to use.)

You put the camera into manual cleaning mode and remove the lens (you do this in a CLEAN lint-free environment to avoid getting dust particles on the sensor while you're trying to clean it.)

Put 2-3 drops of solution on the cleaning swap and give it a smooth wipe across the sensor... then discard (do not reuse the swabs.)  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

arnold12
Contributor
Would fungus grow due to living in a hot, humid climate? I'm in Thailand.

Peter
Authority
Authority
Google fungus camera sensor. No nice reading.

@Peter wrote:
Google fungus camera sensor. No nice reading.

Interesting... the first link I found indicates the person finds the fungus is usually on the inside of the filter -- not the surface exposed for cleaning... and also warns that the fungus destroys the coating such that even if you can access it and clean it, you still have damaged coatings.

That would imply you'd need to just replace the affected filters.  But on such an old camera, it's probably not economically worthwhile (the cost for parts & labor probably exceeds the value of the camera.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I can see the cracked fungus pattern on the sensor. Could the fungus still be between the filter and the sensor? I'm going to get the camera professionally cleaned, only $20 in Pattaya, Thailand. I'll post the results.

arnold12
Contributor
The sensor needs to be taken out and cleaned, repairman says will be good as new. The fungus has only been on the sensor for 2 weeks, so hopefully the coatings on the filters aren't damaged. I'm going to test the camera before paying, only $50.
Announcements